Restoring the wise
On 7 April, the extensive retrospective exhibition ‘Pieter Jozef Verhaghen. In the Wake of Rubens’ opened at Museum M. Verhaghen was an eighteenth-century baroque artist who painted large historical pieces with religious or mythological themes. His main patrons were churches and abbeys. The exhibition will feature one painting from KU Leuven’s collection: The Adoration of the Magi, an early piece by Verhaghen that is signed and dated (1756). The painting is a large altarpiece – approximately 2.5 by 2.5 metres – from the Zwartzustersklooster. Until recently, the painting was in very bad condition, but has now been restored at the Salvartes workshop of Pierre Masson in Leefdaal (see photo).