Postdoctoral researchers can apply for fellowships and grants to perform research at the KU Leuven. Various opportunities exist and we recommend that you carefully investigate your options.
All fellowships and grants are applied for together with a principal investigator:
- Look into the KU Leuven research database and the KU Leuven website to identify principal investigators who’s research interests align with yours.
- Work out your application together with the principal investigator.
- Contact the Research Coordination Office with your questions.
Grants and fellowships
- KU Leuven Internal Funds (IF)
- Research Foundation Flanders - FWO
- Postdoctoral fellowship. The postdoctoral fellowships are intended to support researchers who have only recently completed their PhD, in developing an independent, international research career.
- [Pegasus]² postdoctoral fellowships: stimulation of international mobility by attracting excellent postdoctoral researchers to the Flemish Community via incoming fellowships and by offering postdoctoral researchers in the Flemish Community the opportunity to carry out part of their research abroad via outcoming fellowships.
- Senior Clinical Investigator. The Senior Clinical Investigator Fellowship supports well educated doctors and researchers who want to pursue a full-fledged career in translational research.
- Research Grant. The research grant supports young and/or established researchers with an individual research expense grant.
- Mobility allowances.
- Marie Sklodowska-Curie Individual Fellowships. Fellowships funding researchers looking to enhance their career development and prospects by working abroad.
- Agentschap Innoveren en Ondernemen (AIO). Postdoctoral fellowships in science and technology stimulating the transfer of research results to industry.
- European Research Council (ERC) grants. Grants supporting the highest quality research in Europe through competitive funding and to support investigator-driven frontier research across all fields of research, on the basis of scientific excellence.
- Odysseus Call. The KU Leuven offers up to 6 Odysseus Type I grants to established, international recognized top researchers and up to 6 Odysseus Type II grants to young, high level researchers from abroad to pursue cutting-edge research in Leuven. The aim is to consolidate its prominent position in the EU Research Area.
- Junior Mobility (JuMo) travel allowances. Outgoing mobility allowance for PhD researchers, postdocs and tenure track professors.
- Other opportunities:
- Funding opportunities development cooperation
- Alexander von Humboldt Stiftung
- Belgian American Educational Foundation - Postdoctoral Fellowships for Biomedical or Biotechnology Research in the USA
- Centre for Studies on Federalism - Postgraduate Research Fellowships.
Research and specialisation on the topics of supernational and intranational federalism (historical, political, economic and juridical aspects), European integration and international organisations, in particular the United Nations common system.
- Commission for Educational Exchange - The Fulbright Program: Postdoctoral Research
- European Organization for Nuclear Research
- European University Intitute Firenze - Jean Monnet Fellowships
- Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS)
- Human Frontier Science Program (HFSP) - Long-term Fellowships
- NATO - Outreach postdoctorale beurzen en wetenschappelijke navorsingsbeurzen
- Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council Canada - Visiting Fellows in Canadian Government Laboratories
- Rikkyo University - Research Fellowships
- Swedish Research Council for Engineering Sciences - Visiting programme for women in engineering sciences
- Technische Universiteit Delft - Research Fellowship Programme
- The Library of Congress - Kluge Fellowships
Procedure for signing grant applications
Are you applying for a fellowship, project or grant and the application needs to be signed on behalf of KU Leuven? Then keep in mind that:
- Every document, in this case your entire application including the budget proposal, that is signed on behalf of the university has to be reviewed for compliance with legal, fiscal and financial requirements.
- Most staff members cannot sign on behalf of KU Leuven. The principal signatories are the Rector and the Managing Director.
Therefore we kindly urge you to contact the Research Coordination Office at your earliest convenience and no later than 10 days before the deadline!