Summary of all research expertises
Development and validation of analytical methods for drug substances and drug products.
State-of-the-art characterization of optical centers in any type of artificial or natural diamond by non-destructive methods.
Preparation of chalcogenide glasses. Electronic and optical properties of amorphous semiconductors. Acoustic properties of disordered solids.
Photoconductive properties of highly resistive materials (steady-state or transient behaviour) can be measured. Third-party samples have been examined.
- Bioinformatics services
- Information on bioinformatics software
- Analysis of next-generation sequence data (full genomes, exomes, RNA-Seq, ChIP-Seq, DNAse-Seq)
- Computational analysis and integration of large-scale biological data sets
- Transcriptional regulation and gene regulatory networks
- Protein phosphorylations as signal transduction mode. - Determination of cytotoxicity and apoptosis. - Protein kinase assays.
- Advice on development of structure plans, regional planning - Advice on local (economic) initiatives - Advice on and development of plans for traffic and transport problems. - Advice on regional development - Strategic planning- Planning methodologies- Public involvement in planning
Monitoring in the field of public law, especially : the drawing up of new constitutions; problems in federal state systems; techniques of minority protection; the protection of human rights; the rights of the child....
In vitro evaluation of hepatic disposition (metabolism, hepatic transport, biliary excretion) of drugs and other small molecules
1. In de loop der jaren werd een grondige expertise opgebouwd in het gebruik van confocale laser scanning microscopie (CLSM) in fundamentele (neuronale) celbiologie, getuige de diverse artikels in toptijdschriften. Gezien het toenemende succes en vraag naar lichtmicroscopische toepassingen in life sciences heeft het departement de strategische beslissing genomen om deze infrastructuur samen te brengen in een lichtmicroscopie netwerk met de bedoeling de visibiliteit van onze expertise te vergroten en bijgevolg de interesse/gebruik door derden sterk te verhogen. Momenteel is een volwaardig platform lichtmicroscopie (LIMONE) uitgebouwd, waarvoor ik als ZAP verantwoordelijk ben, en dat gehuisvest is binnen het Centrum Menselijke Erfelijkheid, O&N4. De beschikbare apparatuur bestaat uit 3 operationele CLSMs, nl. Zeiss Radiance2100, fast confocal NIKON A1R, LEICA SP5 aangevuld met een superresolutie PALM microscoop. Een tweede superresolutie lichtmicroscoop (SIM) en een spinning disk systeem zijn momenteel aanbesteed en zullen het platform significant uitbreiden in capaciteit en kwaliteit (de implementatie van superresolutiemicroscopie is uniek voor de BMW).Verder is het LIMONE platform uitgebreid met FACS en een InCELL200, een high throughput Imaging systeem (GE Healthcare)'. Dit laatste moet ons toelaten ook imaging-gebaseerde screens uit te voeren en deze expertise voor externen aan te bieden. Momenteel wordt ook een basis EM core facility uitgebouwd (momenteel 2 EM, high end en workhorse JEOL toestellen) en is de financiering rond om correlatieve licht-EM (CLEM) mogelijk te maken (Hercules). Als ZAP-verantwoordelijke is het mijn taak dit netwerk (of platform) te activeren/professionaliseren en wordt ik hierin bijgestaan door een full-time lichtmicroscopie-expert (staff scientist Dr. Sebastian Munck) en een EM-specialist (Dr. P. Baatsen). Hun taken omvatten het dagdagelijks management, alsook de trainingen met de diverse apparatuur en de bijbehorende software te coördineren; het binnenbrengen/verbeteren/demonstraties van de nieuwste toepassingen in deze gebieden; probleemoplossende tussenkomsten in wetenschappelijke vraagstellingen; evaluatie/bespreking/interpretatie van de bekomen resultaten met implicaties voor de verbetering van technieken.
Het ter beschikking stellen van mijn expertise in het gebruik van doorgedreven technieken van subcellulaire fractionatie en 'celvrije' modellen om de fusie/fissie van organellen te analyseren. Op dit terrein is nauwelijks expertise beschikbaar binnen het centrum. Momenteel wordt deze expertise uitgebreid met de toepassing van superparamagnetische nanopartikels in cellulaire opname. Dit kadert in een multidisciplinair initiatief tussen mezelf en de nanotechnologie unit van het IMEC (Prof. Borghs en Prof. L. Lagae en medewerkers). De opstart van deze technologie werd gefinancierd via CREA en is nu operationeel. Het belangrijkste doel is het gebruik van proteomics om eiwitinventarissen te bekomen van diverse membraancompartimenten en zo inzichten te verwerven in membraantransport (dys)functies. In principe is deze innovatieve expertise nuttig zijn voor de analyse van (ongekende) metabole aandoeningen (bijv. lysosomale storage diseases, maar ook de ziekte van Alzheimer) of voor onderzoeksgroepen die gefocuseerd zijn op endosomale/lysosomale sortering, ligand-gemedieerde receptor internalisaties, signaaltransductiesystemen ea in het basisonderzoek en in een medisch relevante context. Een proof-of-principle is gegeneerd met de isolatie van plasmamembranen en een daaropvolgende proteomics, lipidomics en glycomics analyse (Thimiri et al., MSB, 2011) en wordt momenteel toegepast in verschillende domeinen waaronder kanker en immunologie.
Heterologous protein secretion in Gram-positive bacteria (Streptomyces, Clostridium).
Legionella detection and replication. Analysis of virulence factors, gene expression under different growth conditions. Legionella virulence factors.
Immunocytochemistry - Peptide synthesis - Polyclonal antibodies - Laser microdissection - Polymerase chain reaction - real time PCR - mRNA differential display - In situ hybridization - 1D electrophoresis - 2D electrophoresis - Western blotting - Mass spectrometry (Q-TOF, MALDI) - 2 dimensional difference gel electrophoresis (2D-DIGE) - Functional proteomics
- Conception, performing and analysis of experiments in the framework of determined studies in the broad field of electrophysiology of the heart. - Analysis and reporting of available data in the cardiovascular field. - Advice, discussion of proposed cardiological data acquisition. - Discussion and testing of developments in cardiovascular software.
- Intestinal drug absorption
- Intraluminal dissolution/solubility
- Characterisation and modulation of drug transport
- Intestinal drug metabolism
- stochastic signals and systems - characterization of randomness - complex systems, nonlinear systems - cellular automata, chaotic behavior - fractal structures - system theoretical analysis of neural networks
- e-learning LSP (Dutch L2, Business English)
- Foreign language acquisition,
- Multi-media in foreign language learning
- Indigenous languages in Southern Africa
- self-study in Foreign Language for specific purposes - e-learning - ICT-aided instruction - skills in business communication (speaking, writing, listening, reading) - international cultural building
Statistical Modelling : mathematical theory of statistical inference, model fitting (goodness-of-fit), multivariate data-analytic and statistical techniques, statistical process and quality control, graphical statistical techniques. Probability theory : limit theory.
Statistical modelling of large claims in non-life insurance extreme value statistics.
Evaluation of research projects.
Analysis of the dynamic behaviour of variable speed drives Tests on electrical motors and variable speed drives (20 W till 100 kW), including very accurate efficiency measurements Vibrations in electrical machine drives Audible noise of electromagnetic systems Analysis of low frequency electromagnetic fields and interference Magnetic and electric fields in electromagnetic systems Thermal and mechanical analysis of electric motors and actuators Electricity as a cause of fire and other damages Power electronic applicatipons Electroheat systems Power quality analysis Application (electrical energy aspects) of renewable sources Disturbances in electrical distribution and transport systems Optimisation of electromagnetic systems
Measurement, Modelling and Management of Biosignals/ Bioresponses in processes by real-time monitoring and modelling of individual humans, animals and plants. Living organisms are Complex, Individually different, Time-varying and Dynamic (CITD) systems and by monitoring them continuously, individuals can be monitored, modelled and controlled. Continuous measurements are taken by image analyses, sound analyses or sensors. This concept applies to different fields such as patiens in intensive care, elderly people with dementia, sleep monitoring for drivers, condition monitoring/controlling for sports, welfare and health monitoring for humans and livestock.
- Project evaluation : financial and socio-economic evaluation of projects in developing countries. - Markets for primary commodities : international and domestic. - Industrial structure and growth in developing countries.
Determination of enzyme activities. In vitro pre-mRNA splicing.
Evaluation of somatic growth, biological maturation and physical fitness
- Cardiac Imaging.
- Cardiac Ultrasound/Echocardiography
- Computers in Cardiology
- Cardiac (patho-) physiology
Research activities in this laboratory mainly deal with the exocrine system in social insects (ants, bees, wasps), which are investigated morphologically and behaviourally. This project for the greater part concerns fundamental research, although indirect links toward eventual applications are to be found in the use of the insect's own pheromonal communication system as a source of biological control.
Questionnaire design and construction; survey sampling techniques; nonresponse and nonresponse bias; measurement error in surveys; cross-cultural equivalence testing with structural equation modeling; cross-national comparative research.
- Rare earths (lanthanides)
- Ionic liquids
- Foreign language learning and teaching (French) - Curriculum development of foreign languages, syelabus design especially language for specific purposes. - Business French : vocabulary, teaching, etc. - Assessment of language proficiency - Dictionary making and assessment - Intercultural negotiation - Lexicography -Teacher training (French)
- Clinical laboratory organization and automation - Clinical laboratory information systems - Integrated quality control in (clinical) laboratories - Regulation of microsomal conjugation and transport processes - Bile pigment metabolism and pathophysiology
- Chemiscal process metallurgy: characterization and modelling. - Refractory materials/slags: investigation and selection. - Bulk and microchemical analysis.
Crystal structure analysis and absolute configuration determination by single crystal x-ray difractometry. Wait : - if good single crystals are delivered : 1 -2 months. - if crystalisation has to de done : indefinite X-ray powder diffraction studies in relation to polymorphism, kidney-and gall stones (wait : 1 - 4 days)
BLOCKMANS DANIEL ENGELBERT
Nailfold cappilaroscopy is a simple non-invasive method to diag- nose or exclude scleroderma-like connective tissue diseases. This examination should be performed in every patient with Raynaud's phenomenon, since it can diagnose a possible underlying sclero- derma-like disorder, years before clinical or biochemical abnor- malities become evident. Therefore, it is the most appropriate method to differentiate primary from secondary Raynaud's pheno- menon. In the past five years, we have gained experience in this technique as we performed more than 500 examinations in this time period. The sensitivity of a pathological capillaroscopy for the various categories of connective tissue diseases was as follows : systemic sclerosis 100%, CREST syndrome 73%, mixed connective tissue disease 56%, dermatomyositis 86%. The specificity of these findings was 93.3%. The positive predictive value of a pathologi- cal capillaroscopy was 63.5% and the negative predictive 96.7%.
· Language development
· Social factors in language learning
· Incidental and intentional learning
· Implicit and explicit language learning
· The language acquisition of migrant children
· The effect of frequency on second language learning
· The effect of word type (nouns and verbs) on language learning
· The effect of explicit labeling statements (f.e. "This is X") versus declarative (f.e. "The man took an X") or directive statements (f.e. "Could you put X there?) on language learning
- Writing of opinions - Research
Non-invasive imaging of the heart with magnetic resonance imaging and computed tomography, including assessment of morphology, function, perfusion, viability, coronary arteries.
Criminologische aspecten van de forensische psychologie en psychiatrie.
Risicotaxatie, behandeling en community treatment m.b.t. forensische doelgroepen.
Onderzoek naar behandeleffectiviteit en kosten-bateneffectiviteit. Onderzoek naar alternatieve designs als aanvulling op de klassieke RCT's.
Assertive Community Treatment, Forensische Sociale Netwerk Analyses en Liberman-modellen bij de behandeling en aftercare /controle van forensische doelgroepen binnen het Algemeen Forensisch Welzijnswerk.
De relatie slachtofferschap en daderschap. Slachtofferaspecten, psychologische aspecten en psychopathologie bij forensische doelgroepen. Spiegelingen tussen daders en slachtoffers.
Corrosion, Chemical Engineering, Materials Engineering, Nuclear Engineering, Environment, Energy, Biomedical, Electrochemistry, Failure Analysis, Risk Analysis, RBI, Inspection, NDT, NDE, Corrosion Prevention, Coatings, Inhibitors, Water Treatment, Cathodic Protection, Materials Selection, ICT, Databases, Advanced Informatics
Corrosion, Chemical Engineering, Materials Engineering, Nuclear Engineering, Environment, Energy, Biomedical, Electrochemistry, Failure Analysis, Risk Analysis, RBI, Inspection, NDT, NDE, Corrosion Prevention, Coatings, Inhibitors, Water Treatment, Cathodic Protection, Materials Selection, ICT, Databases, Advanced Informatics
Corrosion, Chemical Engineering, Materials Engineering, Nuclear Engineering, Environment, Energy, Biomedical, Electrochemistry, Failure Analysis, Risk Analysis, RBI, Inspection, NDT, NDE, Corrosion Prevention, Coatings, Inhibitors, Water Treatment, Cathodic Protection, Materials Selection, ICT, Databases, Advanced Informatics
Isolaton of enzymes and determination of enzyme activities. Analysis of phosphorylated proteins.
- Theory and applications of neural networks - Theory of complex systems - Equilibrium and non-equilibrium statistical mechanics and the study of collective phenomena - Many-body theory
- Quality control of radiopharmaceuticals and labelling kits - Quality control of kits for radio-immuno assay (RIA) - Synthesis of organic complexing agents - Synthesis of fluorine-18 and carbon-11 labelled compounds - Determination of biological characteristics of radioactive compounds by ex vivo in vitro methods (mice, rats) and by scintigraphic (mice, rats, rabbits) imaging - LC-MS analysis of radiopharmaceuticals
Chemical education: - curriculum development - teaching and learning techniques - evaluation and assessment techniques - visualisation and demonstration techniques - in-service and pre-service training of chemistry techniques
Logic programming : - implementation - transformation - abstract interpretation PROLOG Constraint Logic Programming Planning, Scheduling Deductive Databases Machine Learning : concept learning, knowledge discovery, data mining Knowledge representation
Expertises 1. Physics of condensed matter 2. Low dimensional systems 3. Superconductivity 4. Superlattices 5. Tunnel junctions 6. Surface physics 7. Electrical, magnetic and optical properties of matter Services 1. Preparation of thin films and supperlattices (metals - semiconductors - insulators) 2. Low temperatures 3. High magnetic fields 4. Surface and structural analysis
1. Training & methods development in EBM. 2. Research, methods development, and training in diagnostic studies. 3. Research, methods development, and training in meta-analysis of diagnostic studies. 4. Research & methods development in morbidity registration and analysis.
Structural analysis of antibiotics, antivirals, or anticancer agents by 1H or 13C NMR spectroscopy.
- Productie en toelevering van stabiele-isotoop gemerkte eieren
- Bepaling van de energie- en eiwitinhoud van producten dmv bomcalorimetrie en Kjeldahl.
- meting van het energie- en eiwitmetabolisme van kleine proefdieren (kip, rat, muis, konijn) via indirecte calorimetrie (6 open-kring respiratiecellen)
- analyse van plasmastalen: hormoon-analyses via radioimmunoassay en metabolieten via spectrofotometrie
- analyse van plasma en weefselstalen op oxidatieve stressparameters
- bepalen van pH en partiële O2 en CO2 druk in bloedstalen en luchtkamers van eieren
- arteriële cannulatie van pluimvee voor seriële bloedstaalnames
- woordenschatverwerving en -didactiek
- verwerving en onderwijs schrijfvaardigheid
- verwerving en didactiek van de uitspraak Spaans voor Anderstaligen
- LSP (Language for Specific Purposes), i.h.b. medisch en economisch
- Spanje en Baskenland
- begeleide zelfstudie
- pedagogische lexicografie en terminografie
- CALL, i.h.b. auteursomgevingen voor de ontwikkeling van taaloefeningen
- evaluatie en assessment, i.h.b. zelfevaluatie
- wetenschappelijke begeleiding bij ontwikkeling leermateriaal Spaans voor Anderstaligen
- examinator Spaans voor Anderstaligen
- consultancy (onderzoek van het curriculum Spaans, met adviesverlening)
- Economic history of branches of industry. - Long-term analysis of corporate competitiveness. - History of banking. - Analysis of housing problems. - Methodology of national /regional accounts. - Business history.
Consulting services are available on the use of medical data in an information society and its implications on the right to privacy and the survey rule. The research unit will also be able to offer legal guidance in the area of human tissue and the legislation on pharmaceutical products as well as on telemedicine and organ transplantation.
Studies on the mechanism of action of drugs in neuronal activity. (Electrophysiology, calcium homeostasis, Transduction pathway)
Translation of Hindi texts into English, Dutch.
Helath economics; health policy analysis, hospital financing. Health care planning, reimbussement systems.
Isoelectrofocusing of serum transferring. Serum transferring analysis by capillary electrophoresis. Glycan analysis by capillary electrophoresis. Monosaccharide analysis by capillary electrophoresis.
- Orthodontisch klinisch onderzoek, diagnostiek en behandelings planning. - Diagnostiek van craniofaciale afwijkingen waaronder schisis van gespleten lip, kaak en/of gehemelte. - Effecten ven groeihormoonstoornissen op het denrafaciale complex. - Multiplele agenesieën. - Juveniele rheumatoïede arthritis in het dentafaciale complex.
In vitro culture of primary cells derived from skeletal tissues, including chondroctyes, osteoblasts, osteoclasts, bone marrow stromal cells, periosteal cells.
Histology and histomorphometry of bone.
In vivo and in vitro micro-CT analysis of mice.
Mouse models for fracture repair and osteoporosis.
In vivo intestinal calcium absorption in mice.
- Feasibility of clinical applications for new physiological measuring systems in electronics, ultrasound, optical spectroscopy. - Pharmakinetic studies in infancy and childhood.
- rural livelihoods
- housing, African architecture
- gender, women's networks and associations
- rural-urban interface, migration
- cultures and development
- secondary cities in Africa
CASSIMAN JEAN JACQUES
DNA polymorphisms for identification of biological samples for paternity studies
Conwetting services in paediatric ophthalology
CASTEELS MARIA REINHILDE
Measurement of peroxisomal enzymes in human tissues. Measuring alpha-oxidation of phytanic acid in human fibroblasts and liver.
- Operations research and operations management. - Application areas: - Distribution logistics (routing, location reversed logistics) - Production planning and scheduling
CELIS JEAN PIERRE
- tribology (friction and wear of materials) - surface engineering (films and coatings) - material degradation (corrosion, wear) - electrochemistry - electrodeposition of metals, alloys and composites - adhesion
Molecular modelling for biomolecules. Electronic properties of fullerenes and nanotubes.
Advice on the evaluation of the efficiency of chromatographic colums and on the optimization of analysis by chromatographic methods.
- Biochemical analysis of allergen extracts - Quantification of cytokines in biological fluids: interleukin 2 interleukin 4, Tumor Necrosis Factor (ELISA), interleukin 6, interleukin 10, interferon-þ, interleukin 5, interleukin 12 - Screening of monoclonal antibody reactivity with cell surface antigens on FACS - Determination of composition, biological activity and shelf life of allergenic extracts. - Preservation and stabilization of allergenic extracts. - Extraction of allergenic proteins from biological substrates.
- Molecular biology techniques - Expression of proteins in pro- and eukaryotes - Protein-protein interactions - Transcription - Nuclear receptors, steroid receptors - DNA binding
Evaluation of the low frequency noise behaviour of MOS technologies. In house experience available for submicron devices
- Evaluation of the cryogenic behaviour of their technologies. - Support in the design of cryogenic circuits.
Ethncity in Greco-Roman Egypt, the ancient book.
- Experimental determination (with advanced near-infrared nanosecond and femtosecond laser-based equipment) of nonlinear optical properties of materials, mostly organic, metalorganic and supramolecular systems
- Linear and nonlinear light scattering, dynamic light scattering, quasi-elastic light scattering, hyper-Rayleigh light scattering
- Static and dynamic, time-resolved, fluorescence and experimental techniques in time domain and in frequency domain for the determination of fluorescence lifetimes
- Photonic crystals, colloidal crystals, bottom-up nanoengineering of linear and nonlinear photonic properties
- Switching at the molecular level of linear and nonlinear optical properties, mostly redox-based
Actuarial studies and consulting in the field of social security - design and funding (World wide). Private, public or corporate pension funds.
Mass spectrometric analysis : 1) Electron impact 2) Chemical ionization 3) GC-MS 4) Exact mass measurement (electron impact) 5) Electrospray analysis of new materials and oligomeric compounds
Numerical solution of nonlinear systems especially systems of polynomial equations.
Numerical computation of multidimensional integrals.
- identification of plant pests and pathogens and plant parasitic nematodes - identification of plant damaging agents of non-biotic origin - evaluation of damage on plants by biotic and abiotic agents - biotic soil analysis - evaluation of new crop races on resistance against pests (insects/nematodes) and pathogens - screening of new pesticides and new application techniques (pesticides in hydroponics/seed application techniques) - evaluation of biological control agents
Value, on the first place historical, and possible conservation treatment of rare books and bindings.
- Integrated use of satellite remote sensing and aerial photo- graphy for land-use assessment/planning, vegetation mapping, landscape analysis, change detection, and vegetation stress moni- toring in temperature, tropical and subtropical areas - Policy-supporting research and consulting services for public agencies where it concerns the integration of spatial data ana- lysis results and planning instruments, the design and implemen- tation of forest, nature, and landscape management practices in both rural and urban areas, and multi disciplinary approaches to sustainability enhancement and optimization - Environmental impact studies - Landscape analysis as part of spatial planning - Biomass distribution assessment and the monitoring of its dynamics at the landscape scale - Knowledge based systems for the management of forest and nature
- Sound absorption and transmission characteristics of single and multylayered structures used in building and room acoustics and noise control. - Airborne and impact sound insulation of buildings and building elements. - Studies of sound propagation outdoors and traffic noise via scale models and in situ measurements. - Noise reduction in buildings and factories.
Questions concerning religious pluralism (including New Religious movements). The social, political and economical impact of particular religious beliefs.
1) PSYCHOANALYSIS : - history of psychoanalysis (Freud, main school of psychodynamic psychology) - clinical problems : guilt feeling, psychodynamic aspects of psychosis (paranoia, schizophrenia, hysterical psychosis), bordeline personality - psychodynamic mechanisms in artistic creativity (sublimation psychic conflict) 2) CLINICAL PSYCHOLOGY OF RELIGION - psychotherapy and pastoral counseling - mysticism, apparitions, visions - pathlogical guilt - religious delirium registrations and a
Research on clean and real solid surfaces and interfaces and on semiconductor electrode materials for electrochemical applications.
Analysis of water and soil. Detection and analysis of: - elements: Na K Mg Ca Sr Ba Ti V Cr Mn Fe Co Ni Pt Cu Au Zn Cd Al Ga Cn Si Ge Sn Pb As Se Ag - anions: SO3-- SO4-- NO3-- PO4-- - organic compounds pH and conductivity measurements.
Analysis of water and soil. Detection and analysis of: - elements: Na K Mg Ca Sr Ba Ti V Cr Mn Fe Co Ni Pt Cu Au Zn Cd Al Ga Cn Si Ge Sn Pb As Se Ag - anions: SO3-- SO4-- NO3-- PO4-- - organic compounds pH and conductivity measurements
Political Economy, Economic Analysis of Political Institutions and Policies, Political Business Strategy, Business-Government Relations.
Advice about philosophical/theoretical foundations of cultural projects such as museums, theaters, centers of art, etc.
- PHILOSOPHY OF MIND AND ACTION
- FREE WILL, PERSONAL AUTONOMY, AND MORAL RESPONSIBILITY
- PERSONAL IDENTITY AND THE SELF
- PHILOSOPHY OF EDUCATION
- Information with respect to the European and Belgian legislation and practice concerning the award of public contracts e.g. public works, public supplies and public service contracts. - Information with respect to the legal protection of candidates who have not been awarded a public contract.
The aim of this project is to elucidate the pathogenesis of endometriosis and to study in detail retrogade menstruation and the involvement of uterine and pelviperitoneal factors. These objectives can only be achieved thanks to an intense collaboration between several departments: Obstretics-Gynecology (Prof. T. D'Hooghe, Dr. D. Timmerman, Prof. R. Pijnenborg), Leuven University Fertility Center (Dr. S. Debrock, Prof. T. D'Hooghe), Clinical Biology (Prof. Ph. Vandekerckhove) and Histopathology (Prof. Ph. Moerman, Dr. M. Drijkoningen).
President board of directors.
- Role of thyroid hormones in development and growth in different vertebrates. - Hypothalamic control of thyroid function and growth hormone secretion in different vertebrates. - Use of compensatory (recatch) growth in animal production.
Heparan sulfate proteoglycans in cell-to-cell signaling.
DE BONDT RAYMOND
- Economics of knowledge based market activities - Change towards the digital economy
DE BONTE MARC
"Technological Advisory Service for Surface Treatment of Materials". This advisory service exists since 1980. This service functions is cooperation with WTCM (The Centre for Scientific and Technical Research of the Manufacturing Industries). Surface treatment of materials (cleaning, application of coatings, surface modification, characterization).
DE BONTE MARC
"Surface technology and coatings". Production of surface modified materials. Characterization of chemical, physical and mechanical properties of metallic, ceramic and composite coatings. Selection of surface modified materials for particular applications. Electrodeposition of composed coatings. Production of liquid containing metallic coatings. Electrochemical measurements.
DE BORGGRAEVE WIM
Organic synthesis methodology
DE BORGGRAEVE WIM
DE BRUIJN ERNST
Mass spectromety logistics Micro array - mass spectrometry logistics Gas chromatography logistics Capillary electrophorins logistics Anticancer chemotherapy Sample pretreatment High performance liquid chromatography logistics
DE CORTE ERIK
- construction and evaluation of powerful learning enviroments aimed at the acquisition of generalizable cognitive skills. - analysis of cognitive processes underlying the skill of solving problems in subject-matter domains (e.g. mathematics, computer programming, reading). - international and developmental cooperation with respect to education.
DE DECKER BART
- Network and Computer Security
- Formal protocol verification
- Authentication Protocols
- Identity Management
- Electronic Identity Cards
- Privacy-Enhancing Techniques
- Credential Systems
DE DIJN HERMAN
Understanding and clarifying the crisis of values and meaning in modern society (and related problems such as the opposition between science and religion, technology and culture, individualism, etc.)
DE FEYTER STEVEN
To determine the topography of surfaces with nanometer resolution, in air, and in liquid. To manipulate matter at the nanometer scale. To probe mechanical and chemical properties of surfaces. To visualize single (bio)molecules: DNA, proteins, etc.
DE FEYTER STEVEN
To assemble molecules at electrified interfaces and to visualize those with submolecular resolution. To tune (modify) the self-assembly patterns of molecules on electrified interfaces under potential control, and visualization with submolecular resolution. To modify metallic surfaces (oxidation, reduction) and their molecular adsorbates (oxidation, reduction) under potential control, and visualization with submolecular resolution.
DE FEYTER STEVEN
To visualize atomically flat metallic conductive surfaces, locally, with atomic resolution. To self-assemble molecules on top of these surfaces, at the liquid-solid interface. To engineer functional molecular pattern s on these surfaces. To visualize molecular patterns with submolecular resolution. To carry out reactions at the liquid-solid interface, and to visualize the reagents and products with submolecular resolution. To examine the electronic properties of individual molecules or stacks of molecules.
DE GEEST SABINA
Compliance with medication regimens is a major determining factor for the effectiveness of drug treatments. Noncompliance is a possible confounding factor in clinical trials. Adequate measure- ment of noncompliance with medication regimens is therefore a prerequisite to correctly interpret results of clinical trials. Electronic event monitoring is the most reliable and sensitive method to measure compliance to date. Our research unit has extended experience in compliance issues. More specifically, we have refined the methodology to measure noncompliance using electronic event monitoring methodology, we have developed and refined instruments to measure relevant determinants of non- compliance, and we have established statistical methods to explore the relationship between noncompliance and clinical outcome.
DE GROOFF DIRK
Conceptual design of user-friendly interfaces.
Evaluation of ICT applications on their user-friendliness.
DE GROOFF DIRK
- Internet search strategies.
- Search engine positioning.
- Social aspects of communication technology.
DE HOON JAN
The services of the Center for Clinical Pharmacology are cluste- red in three divisions: 1) a Clinical Research Unit which provi- des a professional environment for ducting phase I and early phase II clinical trials according to the International Confe- rence on Harmonization-Good Clinical Practice (ICH-GCP) guideli- nes, 2) a Bio-Analytical Laboratory which is primarily devoted to the development and validation of drug assessments in biological fluids according to Good Laboratory Practice (GLP) and 3) a Cardiovascular Research Unit which focuses on in vivo cardio- vascular pharmacology by applying both invasive and non-invasive techniques to healthy volunteers and selected groups of patients. More detailed information is available at http://www.ckf.be
DE JONGE KRISTA
Expertise related to history of architecture.
DE KEERSMAECKER ROGER
Status of microelectronics industry and related supplier industries.
DE LATHAUWER LIEVEN
Expertise concerning signal separation and factor analysis
DE LATHAUWER LIEVEN
Multi-way data processing
DE LEPELEIRE JAN
Organization of health care/Primary care
General Practice/Family Medicine
DE LEY MARC
- General protein chemistry, receptors - Cytokines - Monoclonal antibodies - Metalloproteins - Anti-iodiotypic antibodies - Antisense DNA/RNA technology
DE MAEYER MARC
Molecular modelling of proteins. Homology modelling of proteins. Side-chain (orientation) prediction in proteins. Optimisation/stabilisation of proteins. Prediction of immunogenic regions in proteins. Protein docking ans small molecule docking to proteins.
DE MEESTER LUC
We carry out population genetic analyses of various aquatic organisms. We have ample expertise with various cladocerans, anostracans, amphipods, mysids,... The technique most commonly used, cellulose acetate gel electrophoresis with staining of specific enzymes is rapid and reliable, and is easily adjusted to accomodate other taxa. In addition, our research group has expertise on the application of microsatellite DNA markers in population genetic studies of aquatic organisms. We also have the necessary axpertise and software to carry out a standard population genetic data analysis.
DE MEESTER LUC
Our research group is involved in biomanipulation projects (dutch: 'Actief Biologisch Beheer') intended to restore water quality in eutrophied, shallow lakes and ponds. We have the necessary know-how to conduct ecological studies necessary to assess the potential for a restoration of the clear-water state and submerged macrophyte vegetation in eutrophied pond ecosystems. Our expertise covers key aspects of the trophic cascade in lakes: piscivorous and planktivorous + benthivorous fish, zooplankton, grazing impact of zooplankton on plytoplankton and the microbial loop. In collaboration with other research groups, detailed studies of macrophytes, phytoplankton and the components of the microbial loop are also considered.
DE MEESTER PAUL
"Nuclear Engineering and Nuclear Materials". Study of the performance and safety analysis of nuclear installations. Nuclear materials. Nuclear fuel elements.
DE MEESTER PAUL
Nuclear energy. Nuclear power plants.
DE MEESTER PAUL
"Quality control and non-destructive testing of Materials". Own developments in the fields of: Analysis of radiographic imaging using Monte-Carlo simulation. Damage analysis of composites using acoustic emission, in situ radiography and low- and high-frequency ultrasonics AC-potential drop method for crack growth measurement during fatigue tests on metals. Ultrasonic C-scan equipment and microfocus X-ray radiography with data-analysis and image processing systems.
DE MEESTER PAUL
Fatigue research (especially crack initiation and crack propagation) on steel, Cu- and Ti-alloys, composites (metal matrix, polymer matrix, ceramic matrix fibre or particle reinforced) Measurement of mechanical properties (conventional and non-conventioneal test conditions and methods).
DE MEYER ANNA MARIA
Data mining. Classification Statistical consulting Categorical data analysis Classification Multivariate data analysis Basic statistics Statistical software Mathematical software Computational science High performance computing
DE MEYER CHRISTINA
DE MOOR BART
Identification and control of industrial processes Automation services Mechatronic design Classification Biomedical applications Traffic consulting GUI design Virtual engineering Courses
DE MOT RENÉ
- Genetic analysis of plant associated bacteria. - Molecular cloning of plant and bacterial genes involved in plant-microbes interactions. - Isolation and characterization of bacterial membrane proteins - Molecular biology and genetics of Rhodococcus. - Biodegradation of xenobiotics. - Intracellular proteolysis by compartmentalizing proteases in actinomycetes.
DE MUNTER AGNES
DE RANTER CAMIEL
Crystal structure analysis and absolute configuration determination by single crystal x-ray diffractometry. Wait: - if good single crystals are delivered : 1 -2 weeks. - if crystallisation has to be done : indefinite X-ray powder diffraction studies in relation to polymorphism, kidney - and gall-stones (wait : 1 - 4 days)
DE RIDDER DIRK
- Clinical studies in urogynecology - Clinical and experimental studies on implant materials in urogynecology
DE RIDDER DIRK
- Clinical studies in neurogenic bladder, incontinence, multiple sclerosis, paraplegia. - Urogynecology - Surgical andrology
DE ROECK GUIDO
- Numerical and experimental, static and dynamic analysis of mechanical structures. - Study of vibration and wave propagation problems.
DE SCHREYE DANIEL
- Analysis and transformation techniques for logic programming - Methods for constraint solving in various optimisation problems for which traditional operations research techniques do not satisfy.
DE SCHRIJVER REMI
- Analysis of foods and feeds - Diet formulation - Digestibility experiments with animals - Feeding experiments with poultry, pigs, cattle and fish (evaluation of feed additives). - Lipid analysis - Amino acid analysis - PCB analysis
DE SCHRYVER FRANS
- Absorption and emission measurements -Colloidal systems and polymers - Luminescence lifetime and Transient spectroscopy - AFM, STM - confocal microscopy - Single molecule spectroscopy-Light stability of materials - Photoconduction
DE STROOPER BART
Information/analysis on/of current research in Alzheimer's disease.
DE TAVERNIER JOHAN
1. Christian Ethics (personalism, values, norms, virtues, methodology, hermeneutical approach of the Bible, the tradition and the magisterial teachings)
2. Creation and Environment (ecological ethics, animals and ethics)
3. Agricultural Ethics and Food Ethics (food security, land use/food and competition with feed/fuel/fibre/flower/fun)
4. Bio-Ethics (genetic modifcation of plants and animals, transhumanism)
5. Peace and Human Rights (universality/particularity, just war/peace and pacifism, religious liberty, freedom rights and tolerance, church social teaching)
6. Faith and Science (dialogue, naturalisation of ethics and Christian responses)
DE TROYER FRANK
Structuring of data for construction sector - specifications - product information - cost information - graphical information - 3D models
DE VOS DIRK
Catalysis of Organic Reactions, using heterogeneous, homogeneous or biocatalysts. Focal points of attention are
- zeolite catalysts,
- Layered Double Hydroxide Catalysts,
- Metal-Organic Frameworks as heterogeneous catalysts,
- nanoparticles of noble metals (Au, Pd, ..),
- Palladium, Osmium, Manganese, Tungsten and Molybdenum Catalysts.
Important reactions under scrutiny are
- oxidations: epoxidations, hydroxylations, alcohol oxidations,
- incorporation of carbon dioxide in organic molecules,
- dynamic kinetic resolutions of alcohols and amines,
- selective hydrogenations of polyfunctional molecules,
- new routes in aromatics functionalization via C-H activation
Physicochemical Characterization of Heterogeneous Catalysts, using i.a. Surface titration with mass spectrometric techniques, FT-IR, ESR spectroscopy, fluorescence spectroscopy
Analysis of organic compounds, using GC, GCMS, LCMS
Synthesis of organic compounds with biological activity
DE VOS RITA
Ultrastructural examination of pathological human cells and tissues and of cells and tissues of animal models.
DE WAELE DIRK
All aspects of plant nematology (from species identification up to strategies for engineering nematode resistance in crops).
DE WITTE KAREL
Diagnosis of organizational culture and employee satisfaction (e.g. satisfaction with communication, leadership style, perfor- mance appraisal, training policy) for different organizations in Belgium. Besides the measurement phase by a questionnaire (see below) also other more qualitative approaches are followed (interviews, feedback sessions, workshops, etc.) to get a deeper insight in the culture of the organization. The researchers are facilitating and guiding the change process afterwards.
DE WITTE PETER
- enzymic reactions, enzymic kinetics - enzyme inhibitions - cell cycle - cell signal transduction - qualitative and quantitative drug analysis - surgical techniques on animals
Analytical solution methods for ordinary and partial differential equations (linear and nonlinear) in : - mathematical physics (diffusion, waves, MHD waves) - statistics (stochastic processes) - engineering (fluid mechanics, heat transfer)
- commutatieve rings (Noetherian and non-Noetherian)
- normal local rings
- birational extensions of local domains
DECKERS JOZEF A
Land evaluation Soil surveys Project preparation and evaluation Land resources assessment Soil classification Soils & agriculture in the tropics
DECKERS JOZEF A
- multidisciplinary landevaluation - soil mapping - landuse planning - soil conservation - agricultural research planning in developing countries - soil suitability
- Provision of information regarding oral health condition of children in Flanders. - Expertise and services related to the collection of information regarding the oral health situation in Flanders, the set-up of epidemiological surveys and the training/calibration of examiners for oral health surveys.
- Generation, characterization and cloning of monoclonal antibodies.
- Development and/or evaluation of diagnostic methods.
- Analysis of proteins.
- Evaluation of dossiers for registration of biotechnological drugs.
- Embedded computer-based systems (architecture, hardware, real-time, I/O, interfacing and other aspects).
- Specific knowledge about dependability and fault tolerance (reliability, availability, safety, integrity,... hardware and software reduncancy, redundancy management,...).
- Expertise about ICT and energy infrastructures and their interdependencies.
Human population genetics, forensic DNA-analysis, genetic identification of human biological samples, DNA-analysis of human archaeologic remains (e.g. bones, teeth)
1. Study of the contractility of respiratory muscles in vitro, and its modification by drugs. 2. Study of the contractility of respiratory muscles in whole animals, and its modification by drugs 3. Study of the respiratory muscles in patient, and the effects of drugs on respiratory muscle function.
1. Exercise physiology of normal people, athletes and patients with COPD. 2. Tools in respiratory rehabilitation : incentive spirometry, respiratory muscle training, bag squeezing etc.
- hormonal analysis (sheep, pigs, chicken) for other research institutes or groups - expertise for testing new biotechniques or products during embryonic development of poultry - advice in relation to application of artificial moult programmes for agro-industrial companies - advice for animal husbandry projects in tropical and subtropical areas (agro-industrial companies and study centers) - applied research experiments (poultry, pigs, sheep) in collaboration with the Zootechnical Centre at Lovenjoel. (director Prof. R. Geers)
- Health policy analysis - Macro-European level - Comparative analysis of health care systems - Policy of care for the elderly
Production management and scheduling theory and applications. Operations research, applied probability and statistics. Decision theory and analysis. Development of decision support systems.
- Structural dynamics - Elastodynamics (soil dynamics, wave propagation in (un)satu- rated poroelastic media) - Dynamic soil-structure interaction analysis (e.g. seismic response) - Vibration problems in the built environment . in situ vibration measurements : monitoring spectral analysis of surface waves . numerical analysis and prediction (finite and boundary element formulation) . vibration isolation measures
Clinical dermatological research Mycology Photosensitivity Contact allergy Keratinocytes Wound healing Atopic dermatitis
- Clinical dermatological research - Mycology - Photosensitivity - Contactallergy - Keratinocytes - Wound healing
- Clinical dermatological research (Degreef) - Mycology (Degreef) - Photosensitivity (see also R. Roelandts) - Contactallergie (see also A. Goossens) - Keratinocytes (cultures, DNA damage -U.V.) (see also G. Marjan)
Nuclear magnetic resonance (H and C-13 NMR) Mass spectrometry Gas chromatographic methods Methodology in organic synthesis General organic chemistry Reaction mechanisms Supramolecular chemistry Porogyrin cgelustrt Heterocycle chemistry
The Institute for Environmental and Energy Law can be consulted for all kinds of questions on: - Environmental law (International, European, Comparative, Federal, Regional) - Energy law (International, European, Comparative, Federal, (Regional). - Local & Regional Taxes - Construction Law
- Mathematical Physics : Use of special functions - Statistical mechanics
Tracheal autotransplantation as a functional treatment for laryngeal cancer.
Spanish : problems of linguistic variation (access to automated corpuses).
A critical approach of women's studies in linguistics.
- Cereal science and technology - Bread and wheat less bread - Starch - Gluten - Nonstarch polysaccharide - Cereal processing - Enzyme purification
Health care management and organisation. The development and the implementation of health care information for management purposes on a national and local level. The variables refer to the diver- sity of patients and the variability of care. Applications and field experience is available which refer to the organization of cara nationally and locally, the cost of care including their application in national hospital financing systems and local cost sharing arrangements, the evaluation of care such as the use of technology, bench marking.
- Scientific support of technical and production services of brewing and malting plants. - Specific scientific and technical support for the production of beers of top fermentation. - Brewing yeast collection with maintenance and sale services. - Assistance to brewery equipment builders.
- Project planning under resource constraints. - Quality management.
Logic programming (Prolog): implementation, programming techniques, performance studies. Constraint programming
- anxiety and depression clinic - Leuven university Fertility center
For several years I am involved in research on cults and new religious movements and offering consulting services on this issue. Chair of 'Centre d'Information et 'Avis sur les Organisations sectaires nucibles', established in 1999 by the Belgian Parliament. Address: Rue Haute, 139-3e étage, 1000 Bruxelles (tel. 02/5049167).
As a member of ARCIC II (The official dialogue structure between the Anglican Communion and the Roman Catholic Church) I can give information about the current issues of discussion between these two churches.
Expertise in the history of education.
Egypt in the Greco-Roman period
Metadata database design and development (texts, places, collections, people, ...)
In vitro and in vivo evaluation of the effect of neuropeptides in the regulation of gastrointestinal motility and food intake under normal and pathological conditions.
- Education on quality systems and management - Organisation of external quality assessment schemes - Performance of quality assurance audits - Explanation of national and international regulations on quality standards (EN-, ISO-, GxP) - Help in implementation of quality assurance systems
Analysis of macroeconomic problems in Africa (trade, exchange rates, inflation, agriculture). Rural and urban poverty impact studies Agricultural Policy analysis
Expertise of brewing sites. Audit of brewing procedures and beer recipes, expertise on specialty beer. Audit of brewing equipment. Expertise of raw materials. Assistance by specialty beer production.
Investigations for vertigo.
Foreign language learning and teaching (French). Computer assisted language learning. Pedagogic and descriptive grammar of French. History of French and general linguistics.
- numerieke simulatie van structuurdynamische en vibro-akoestische systemen met inbegrip van stromingslawaai, gebruik makende van industriele state-of-the-art software
- opmeten en analyseren van trillings- en geluidsproblemen (in situ en in labo-omstandigheden beschikbaarheid van alle moderne testapparatuur voor dynamische metingen, inclusief een unieke, zesassige triltafel (CUBE) voor hoogdynamische excitatie in 6 onafhankelijk aanstuurbare vrijheidsgraden)
- trillings- en geluidscontrole (in de mechanische en mechatronische industrie)
- advies rond geluids- en trillingsarm ontwerp
- virtuele en experimentele voertuigdynamische analyses
Ethical problems, Philosophy of Religion, Metaphysics, Hegel studies , Aesthetics
Analysis and evaluation of relevance, efficiency, effectiveness, output and impact of development projects related to social and economic development and poverty eradication.
The culture - specific rationality in Bantu Africa, underlying the endogenous development of : - community health care - housing and space - university curriculum social sciences - food production and local marketing
Issues related ti international finance.
Differential geometry of Riemannian, pseudo-Riemannian and affine manifolds and their submanifolds; in particular differential geometry of curves and surfaces.
Improvement of logistical processes for industrial companies.
Training in : - Problems-based learning techniques - Design of assessment centers - New assessment techniques (including assessment of problem solving, self-assessment, peer-assessment, co-assessment, etc.)
Advices/consultancy on all aspects of legal protection of heritage (movables and immovables). Special interest for relation with other legislations such as town and country planning/environment.
- Distributed energy resources, incl. renewable energy conversion (focus on PV and wind)
- Electricity distribution systems
- Power electronic systems and applications
- Electrical energy technology topics
- Design and analysis of electromagnetic actuators, drives and transformers
- Electric and plug-in (hybrid) vehicles
- Electrophysiology - Ca2+-measurements
- Product development and innovation: support tool development and management advice.
- Expert systems for design and process planning.
- CNC controlled manufacturing processes for sheet metal working.
- Life cycle engineering: life cycle modelling for ecodesign and life cycle costing support.
Legal advice on all legal issues related to the use of ICT. Legal advice on legal issues related to the Internet and other electronic communications networks. Legal advice about information security problems (privacy, electronic archiving, digital signatures, e-commerce).
Data and Image analysis in neuroscience
Molecular analysis of chloride channels and ClC-type proteins. Molecular pathology of chloride channels and ClC-type proteins.
- identification and characterisation of minerals - characterisation and evaluation of industrial minerals - damage diagnosis of porous building materials - identification of building stones in monuments - concrete petrography - characterisation of historic mortars
Application of fluorescence techniques for the study of interactions between biomolecules. Molecular modeling.
- structured document handling - any activity in relation to XML encoded documents (production, checking, transformations) - document conversion, including uptransformations from unstructured to structured formats - legacy document conversion using XSLT or Omnimark/Stilo technology - consultancy in relation to internet accessibility for persons with a reading impairment (WAI-W3C guidelines)
Information available on (recent scientific research into) Augustan and christian latin poetry.
- Clinical research in abdominal surgery - Research on organ preservation and the prevention of ischemia and reperfusion lesions. - Clinical research on gastro-intestinal cancer
- Cardiovascular research on pharmacological agents. - Experimental and clinical research includes hemodynamic studies, cardiac contractility, infarct size reduction, myocardial protection etc. - Studies on mechanical support systems of the heart on terms of efficiency, influence on organ blood flow and blood flow distribution and metabolic and functional recovery of the myocardium.
- Analysis of protein-protein interactions
- Subcellular fractionation of mammalian cells
- Cell biology of peroxisomes
- Multi-color in vivo pulse-chase experiments
- Molecular analysis of peroxins
- Recombinant expression of proteins
- Marketing consulting for industrial products - Questionnaire design - Expert interviewing - Data analysis - Application of quantitative methods to marketing - Product design - Evaluation of trade shows
FRIJNS JEAN PIERRE
The Dept. of Clinical Genetics of the Center for Human Genetics is an international authority in: 1. The identification of new malformation syndromes (dysmorphology). 2. The identification of genes involved in the pathogenesis of congenital malformations, mental retardation (mainly X-linked forms) and developmental disabilities in general (mainly Autism).
"Structural and Chemical Analysis of Materials" Characterization of the structure and microstructure of materials Surface properties Chemical analysis Thermal analysis Measuremant of the physical properties of materials Measurement of the crystallographic textures of crystalline materials, including crystallite orientation distribution functions (C.O.D.F.) for cubic and hexagonal materials.
"Ceramics and Powder Metallurgy" Ceramic materials Powder metallurgy synthesis processing microstructure properties
- Determination of action mechanism and toxicity of chemicals and pharmacological agents, by the study of morphological alternations in tissue specimens (gastro-intestinal tracts, liver, kidney e.a.) and on cell cultures (cultures of intesti- nal epithelial cells, cocultures). - Evaluation of the influence of drugs on cell proliferation and cell kinetics (cancerogenity) in tissue specimens and cultures. - Evaluation of monoclonal antibodies for their diagnostic applicability in histopathology.
- Determination of action and toxicity of chemicals and pharmacological agents, by study of morphological alternations (in skin,liver, kidney, bone marrow and gastrointestinal tract). - Evaluation of monoclonal antibodies for their applicability in histopathology.
- Risico-inschatting gerelateerd met microbiologische voedselveiligheid
- Inschatten van groei/overleving/inactivatie van micro-organismen in levensmiddelen relevant voor voedselveiligheid en voedselkwaliteit
The research unit offers expert knowledge in the domain of variational linguistics, in the compilation & querying of electronic text corpora, in theoretical lexicology, and in practical lexicography. The main fields of application of its expertise are: - the compilation of electronic text corpora structured to accommodate regional, stylistic, and diachronic variation; - the recording ans analysis of internet language materials; - the compilation of dictionaries of general vocabulary or specialized terminologies in the Germanic and Romance languages; - semantic problems in knowledge enginering.
Pig housing, transport and slaughter in relation to welfare. Meat quality and reproduction management. Growth and mineral balance modelling. Sanitary risk index at farm level.
Production and operations management: production and inventory control, material requirement planning (MRP), just in tim (JIT), bottleneck scheduling (OPT), time based competition (TBC), project planning. Total quality management (TQM). Logistics management : warehousing, distribution and supply. Simulation of logistics systems. Reverse logistics. Manufacturing technologies : productivity, economic justification of equipment. Operations research applications : routing, machine scheduling and sequencing, optimization. Industrial engineering: Layout and material handling, warehouse design and organisation, cost engineering, maintenance management. Management decision support systems. Business Process Reengineering.
- analysis of plant sterols - analysis of polyamines - analysis of phospholipids - analysis of fatty acids - analysis of trans fatty acids - bioindicators - toxicity - analysis of stevioside and steviol
plant evolution and development
evolution of gene regulation in plants
- Analysis of soils, crops and water
- Fertilization advices for agriculture and horticulture
- Drainage and irrigation projects
- Soil sanitation, water purification and waste reutilization
- Analysis of soils, crops and water - Fertilization advices for
agriculture and horticulture - Drainage and irrigation projects - Soil
sanitation, water purification and waste reutilization
Supervision on therapy with children with learning disabilities and special educational needs.
- Studies on nutrition and general metabolism. - 13CO2-breath tests for medical diagnosis (malabsorption). - Quantitative analysis of metabolites by stable isotope dilution. - Colonic (anaerobic) fermentation.
Development of monoclonal antibodies. Development of ELISA. Analysis of proteins.
Quantitative (operations research) and statistical modelling within companies and other organisations.
- Analysis of T cell mediated immune mechanisms in vivo and in vitro - Tropical and protozoal diseases of domestic animals - Analysis of vaccin delivery in vivo - Immune responses in pig, chicken and cattle
Analysis of immunoprotective responses in cattle, pigs and poultry. Identification of cell-mediated immune responses against intracellular pathogens. Analysis of isotype-restricted antibody responses in cattle, pigs and poultry. Qualitative and quanti- tative analysis of peripheral blood leukocyte populations and subpopulations in cattle, pigs and poultry. IL-2 and IFN-Y assay for pigs.
History of medicine, clinical and anthropological psychiatry, philosophy of medicine, ancient philosophy. Documentation, research and education.
The department of occupational and environmental medicine has a long tradition and extensive experience in measuring the exposure to carcinogenic materials. Besides analysis of environmental and biomonitoring samples, our research is focussed on the study of biological alterations in the blood cells of workers induced by occupational exposure to carcinogens. Our department was the first one in Belgium to study DNA and protein adducts in blood cells. Several studies on the relation between exposure, adduct concentrations and genotoxic effects on workers, have been carried out successfully. Frequent advise on human health assessment of agents, based on the results of our investigation, is given tothe government, National Health Council and on European level to the Scientific Committee on Occupational Exposure Limits (SCOEL).
Our ambition is to develop biomarkers for the evaluation of exposure to carcinogenic materials. We are currently using omic techniques to determine gene expression profiles of several carcinogenic agents of the occupational and general environment. Since 2008 we are investigating gene expression profiles in cells exposed to adduct-forming agents. Considering that gene expression is controlled by miRNA, histone modification and DNA methylation among others, we are currently focussing our efforts towards the study of epigenetic changes induced by occupational agents. The investigation of environmental epigenetics is necessary in understanding carcinogenicity of environmental factors. In this context we have already developed and applied a LC-MS method for detection of 5-methyl-2-deoxycytidine in human DNA.
1. Small and wide angle (synchrotron)X-ray and Light Scattering instruments and data interpretation know-how for structural characterization of materials (solid, liquid, gel, powder, solution, ...) from nanometer to micrometer length scales and from days down to seconds in time resolution. Samples can be studied as a function of temperature, pressure, under flow, tensile stress, a given chemical environment or in presence of a magnetic field.
2. Calorimetry by DSC on polymeric materials.
3. General expertise in structure-property relations of soft condensed matter (polymers, liquid crystals, gels, molecular and colloidal solutions, glasses, melts, ...).
Assessing lexical difficulty of English texts for learners/users of English as a foreign/international language (using our EET-list: European English Teaching vocabulary-list, in the computer program A.D.A.M. and E.V.E.).
Clinical neurosurgery. Experimental neurosurgery. Intracranial pressure measurement. Measurement of hydrodynamic parameters of cerebrospinal fluid. Biomechanics of head injury. Cervical spine. Epilepsy surgery.
- screening of the sensitizing and irritating potential of topically applied substances. - identification of pharmaceutical and cosmetic products "without a specific allergen". - information on allergic potential of ingredients present in cosmetic, pharmaceutical, industrial, household, agricultural ... products. - screening of perfume allergens
Actuarial consulting services through Leuven R & D. (Actuarial Division of Leuven R & D)
Assessment of body composition (body fat, fat free mass) by hydrostatic weighing and nutritional status in subjects of different habitual activity.
GORLLER WALRAND CHRISTIANE
Spectroscopy of lantanides, Actinides and Transition metals.
- Respiratory rehabilitation - Peripheral and respiratory muscle function
Intellectual Property Problems.
Advice with respect to soil erosion and degradation, soil conservation, hillslope hydrology... Erosion risk mapping
Advice with respect to the use of GIS-techniques in the study of environmental problems in the field of physical geography and soil conservation.
Diachronic linguistics; specialization Old French and comparison of Latin, Old en Modern French; medieval manuscripts; medieval translation.
Expertise in organization and evaluation of higher education programs (French / Romance Language and Literature).
NMR Solid State Characterization of Catalysts : Zeolites, Aluminophosphates, Amorphous Silicaalumina and Clay Minerals.
Physico-chemical and physical research on polymers, polymer blends and polymer nano composites - crystallization, semicrystalline, morphology and melting of polymers and polymer blends - miscibility, phase behaviour and interactions in polymer blends - mechanical properties and plastic deformation modes of polymer blends - reactive extrusion: chemical modification of polymers in the molten state - reactive compatibilisation of multiphase polymer blends - toughening and impact modification of polymers - nanocomposites; design, nanomorphology and properties
Land cover information extraction from satellite remote sensing. Landscape analysis and evaluation. Rural planning and multifunctional land use research. Connectivity modeling in landscape ecology.
- Numerical solution of nonlinear systems especially systems of polynomial equations. - Numerical computation of multidimensional integrals.
- Investigations of problems in computer installations - Tests on electrical motors and variable speed drives (20W-100W) including very accurate power and efficiency assessment - Vibration measurements (torsional, lateral, angular, accelera- tion, balancing) - Audible Noise Measurements, including frequencey analysis - Magnetic, mechanical, thermal analysis using CAD-finite element techniques - Analysis of electrical drives using digital simulation techniques - Analysis of low frequency electromagnetic interference including fields of high voltage and high currents - Investigation of problems in electrical and mechanical installations, machines and drives, including vibrations and audible noise
Stability of proteins Ligand- protein interaction
Ancient chronology, Roman law, early christianity
All things related to electrochemistry.
Didactics of physics
Een geklimatiseerde meetkamer (4m x 4m x 3m) is beschikbaar voor het opmeten van het dynamisch gedrag van thermische componenten en systemen.
Research is focussed on the cognitive aspects of visual information processing. Special attention is given to the way in which subjects of different skill level perceive information and how fast they can execute specific perceptual-motor tasks in sport, traffic and ergonomic situations (i.e. police men in dangerous intervention situations). Within the interaction 'human performer-machine-environment' attention is predominantly focussed at identification of the way in which trainingsprograms can improve the human factor and make it safer and more efficient.
EDUCATION : Continuing education in food technology (Better Process Control School) RESEARCH : Topics related to Food Technology - Food Preservation * Thermal processing (sterilization, pasteurization, blanching, cooling freezing) * High pressure processing of foods * MAP and CAP storage of foods * Kinetics of intrinsic food quality in preservation processes * PPP-TTT studies of minimally processed foods (during distribution and storage) * Thermal & high pressure inactivation of enzymes * Process evaluation techniques for preservation processes * The development of product history integrators for evaluation of impact of preservation processes * The development of mathematical models for thermal process evaluation including optimization & process deviation evaluation. CONSULTING : General topics related to food preservation, process evaluation, shelf life studies, thermal and high pressure process
Ab initio calculations on transition metal compounds including complexes and small clusters. Study of the reactionpath of various types of reactions by locating minima and transition states on the potential energy surface. Among the computational methods used are the complete active space self-consistent field (CASSCF) and multireference second order perturbation method (CASPT2), as well as density functional theory and hybrid methods.
. Measurements of thermal conductivity, thermal capacity, diffusion resistance factor, porosity, volumic mass, capillar absorption coefficient, moisture diffusivity, hygroscopicity, an permeability, moisture retention curve, etc. of materials. . Measurements of the hygrothermal quality of wall, roof and floor systems. . Measurements on site of the U- value, coheating tests, ventilation rate, temperatures, RH, heat flows, wind driven rai . Measurements on site of the acoustical insulation, reverberation time, sound pressure levels, impulse-responses of rooms,... ect. . Model work on theatres, lecture rooms... . Noise control(traffic noise,industrial noise,Aircraft..)15 y.of experience in industrial cooperation & consulting(energy,insula- tion& building technology,building & room acoustics,noise control
Development of peptide libraries.
Elucidation of molecular structures with NMR and MS
Development of biological active compounds.
Synthesis of isotope labelled RNA.
Synthesis and development of nucleosides and oligo nucleotides with potential therapeutic properties.
Experimental models to test myocardial protective strategies. Large and small anaimal models, in vivo or in vitro, mimicking acute myocardial infarction or dardiac surgery. Extensive hemodynamic testing (including pressure-volume analysis), study of collateral circulation, determination of infarct size, study of coronary vasoreactivity are available.
Impact of history on the biodiversity of forests Soil seed banks in forests Dispersal of plant species Management of forests, particularly nature conservation Management of urban geen Greenroofs Climbing plants Management of nature reserves Nature reserve selection Nature conservation Biodiversity indicators
Project planning (activity networks) under resource constraints - Manufacturing planning and control systems (MRP, JIT/TQC,...) - Production scheduling and sequencing - Facility layout
Orthomagmatic ore deposits Analytical procedures for rock analysis
Studies on the regulation of energy metabolism in skeletal muscle at rest and during contractions.
Drug use for gastrointestinal diseases. Enteral and parenteral nutrition. Endoscopic ultrasound.
- Quantitative analysis of cell signaling - Long distance education
Fluorescence activated cell sorting (FACS)
- Evaluation of research projects. - Development of protocols for the in vitro and/or evaluation of drugs that may be important for the inhibition of progression and/or the induction of regression of atheroscelerotic lesions.
Planning of in vivo studies for drug testing in relation to cardiovascular diseases.
Analysis of drug substance and drug product.
- School Management
- Study Choice
- Labor Market
- Personnel Evaluation
- Quality Assurance in Higher Education
Micropoleontological research in Tertiary strata.
Experimental nuclear physics-
Detection of nuclear radiation-
Radioactive ion beams-
INDEKEU JOSEPH OCTAVE
Theoretical calculations, development of microscopic models, and computer simulations in the field of statistical mechanics. The current research themes and topics of interest are surface and interfacial phenomena (adsorption and wetting), phase transitions and critical phenomena, type-I superconductivity.
General briefing on political situations and likely social relations and attitudes in various CEE countries. Economic outlook and business prospects in various CEE countries. In depth evaluations of critical institutional changes such as privatization and financial market development in various CEE countries. Some possibilities of industry outlook studies if third parties supply industry and trade publications and special commercial consultancy information.
- petrochemistry - fine chemicals, agrochemicals production - environmental catalysis - heterogeneous catalysis - oxidation chemistry - zeolites, clays, molecular sieves
Imaging is one of the prime diagnostic media in oral health care and is usually carried out by 2-dimensional data. Nowadays, a 3-D diagnosis has become available by the use of a cone beam CT for dentomaxillofacial radiology applications. This system has been denoted as cone beam CT and the first system in the Benelux was placed in the Oral Imaging Center of the KU Leuven. This has allowed a series of research activitities and consequent consultancy activities, besides numerous second opinion advices.
For many years, the laboratory of oral physiology is involved in research on oral function (sensory function, biting, motor control). It has the know-how to perform different analyses to assess oral function. Sensory function can be assessed by psychophysical threshold determination upon mechanical stimulation of teeth, implants and neighboring structures. Biting ability can be assessed by bite force measurements. These measurements reveal that oral function is reduced or even unsatisfactory in a number of patients. This can be caused by several reasons (severe bone loss around teeth, tooth loss, fractures, post-surgical complications...).
Digital imaging is one of the major tools for diagnostic tasks in oral health care. A number of technologies are available, each with its own advantages and drawbacks. Advice for potential users of these technologies in provided. Advice is also provided regarding tuning and validation of new technologies both with regard to image quality and applied radiation doses.
Glycan analysis by capillary zone electrophoresis. Monosaccharide analysis by capillary zone electrophoresis.
Iso-electrofocusing of serum transferring. Iso-electrofocusing of serum hexosaminidase. Glucan and monosaccharide analysis by capillary zone electro- phoresis.
- production of liquid helium
- Workshops and demonstrations
- Studies about mathematical education in secundary schools. - Development and implementation of new curricula and methods for mathematics education. - Evaluation of mathematical instruction. - New assessment forms for mathematical education in secondary schools. - Integration of ICT (with hand-held technology) in mathematical education.
Cellular signal transduction via reversible protein phosphorylation. Analysis of phosphorylated proteins. Structure and regulation of phospho serine/threonine-specific protein phosphatases, in particular protein phosphatase of type 2A (PP2A). Cell biology of PP2A subunits and regulators.
- New types/methods in curriculum development in medical education. - Training 'Personal functioning' for medical doctors and managers.
- Training in staff development, educational leadership, in methodology of in-service training; - consultancy and training in development projects on education (emphasis on Asia); - practical training in teacher education.
Urban problems Foreign minorities Poverty Housing Brussels Youngsters
Economic evaluations of health care interventions. Financing systems for health care. Health technology assessment.
Structure analysis of materials
Design of equipment
Consulting on various aspects of the labour market, such as the formation of wages, the evolution of job creation and destruction,... Consulting on various aspects of the economics and business environment in Central and Eastern Europe.
KRUTH JEAN PIERRE
- Manufacturing complex free-forms surfaces and shapes ("sculptured surfaces") - Manufactering complex plastics prototypes by stereolithography (instant manufacturing) - Quality control and measurements of complex free form objects - Electrical Discharge Machining (EDM)
Assay of hormones on biological fluids (radioimmunoassay, radioreceptorassay or biological assays). - Assay of T3, T4, rT3, FT4, steroids (cortisol, corticosterone, testosterone, progesterone, estradiol ect.) all vertebrates. - Rat prolactin, TSH, GH, insuline, LH, FSH - Somatomedins (IGFI and IGFII) in humans (homologous) and other vertebrates (heterologous) - Vasopressins and oxytocins, mesotocin - Bovine, caprine and ovine GH, prolactin, FSH, LH - GH-receptors, nuclear T3-receptors - Growth study of chickens, several fish species : interaction of the somatotrope and thyreotrope axis. - In vitro studies : cellular endocrinology, tissue culture etc. - Thyroid hormone metabolism : enzyme assays and in vivo studies.
Economic evaluation of drugs, medical devices and related products
Analysis of pharmaceutical policy
- Drug and patient information - Post graduate education
- Know how about cultural policy in general. - Know how about cultural policy in Flanders. - Know how about the functioning of cultural and artistic organisations. - Know how about trends in the participation in the arts.
Research and developmental work in the field of Early Childhood Education (age 2-7) (1) Research expertise in the assessment of the quality of Early Childhood programmes and settings. Specific topics : range and content of activities, teacher style, degree of child initiative, childrens involvement (= intensity of the activity); emotional well-being, communicative competence, physical knowledge, social cognition and exploratory drive. (2) Expertise in the field of developmental work and in-service training.
- Modern German literature - Theatre studies - sociology of theatre - theatre and culture
Modern German literature Theatre studies Sociology of theatre within culture.
The various investigations, in the past and at present, cover: 1. Experiments with in vivo rodent models of normal and tumour tissues. 2. Experiments on human tumour cells in vitro. 3. Molecular biology: in vitro and in vivo DNA work. 4. Measure of spontaneous microbial colonisation in human tumours 5. Modulation of hypoxia: radiation/inhibition of angiogenesis. Two main projects: 6. Genetically engineered Clostridium as a cell factory for the specific delivery of therapeutic gene products useful in anticancer therapy. 7. Prediction of intrinsic radiosensitivity of human cancer cell lines and identification of induced or repressed genes after low radiation dose.
- Research and consulting activities in the area of inventory - and production management and control systems (MRP/JIT/OPT) - Development of finite schedulers - Lead Time reduction programs
1. Non-destructive elastic modulus measurement. 2. 3D-qualitative and quantitative wear measurement. 3. 3D-X-ray micro computer tomography qualitative and quantitative measurements. 4. CAD-CAM production of dental inloys and crowns.
- Sensor technology for food quality and safety in the biological production chain
- Quality control systems, traceability, integral chain management
- Biostatistics and statistical process control
- Biosensor technology and bio-electronics
- Biomimetic sensors (electronic nose and tongue)
- Lab-on-a-chip technology (microfluidics and electrokinetics)
- Computer architectures - Parallel computers - Programming environment for parallel computing - Rapid prototyping of digital signal processing systems - Implementation of digital signal processing and telecommunica- tion application - Fault tolerant systems
Advanced Manufacturing Processes:
- High-speed milling, Multi-axis milling, Electrical Discharge Machining (EDM), Hybrid Processes
- Machining of hard materials (ceramics, carbides,..)
- Advanced Tool Path Generation
Clinical & toxicopharmacological expert reports on O.T.C.-drugs (Over The Counter drugs).
Pharmacy Practice Research
Analysis and design of information systems, Business Process Management, Service Oriented Architecture, Data Quality, Data Integration and Database Management
- Counseling for multicultural settings. - Counseling for education of minority children. - Counseling for integration and migration policies. - Counseling for racism issues. - Counseling for combating trafficking of human beings.
Expertise in aspect of: - EU constitutional law - EU courts and judicial protection in the EU
How to motivate students and teachers : (or Nothing is so practical as a good theory).
Advice in planning and conducting clinical trials. This comprises (1) calculation of sample size; (2) support in setting up the trial, like in providing randomisation procedures and lists, helping in the choice of endpoints and in the choice of the appropriate statistical analyses, etc.; (3) analysing the trial results and preparing integrated clinical reports; (4) presenting the results and giving presentations on the different aspects of statistical analysis in a clinical trial.
ligand binding studies
small molecule identification
monitoring of enzym activity
Biomolecular structure determination
NMR guided fragment based drug design
- Market studies - Location analysis - Image research - Service quality measurement
- Clinico-pathological and molecular study of hepatocarcinogenesis
- Morphological and functional study of the role of hepatic progenitor cells in liver diseases
- Physiology and pathophysiology of fibrinolysis - Haemostasis - Development and evaluation of new thrombolytic agents - Thrombolytic therapy - Matrix metalloproteïnases - Obesity models
- Isolation of myocytes from rat hearts. - Isolation of fibroblasts from rat hearts.
Teaching in paediatric endocrinology No research activities available
Types of services available: - archaeological project management - advise on management of archaeological sites - inventory of archaeological sites in Flanders - aerial photography and monitoring of archaeological sites - archaeological survey - investigation and excavation of archaeological sites - advise on archaeological finds and collections - inventory and study of archaeological finds and collections - technical analysis of archaeological objects - conservation of archaeological objects - restoration and presentation of archaeological objects - publication and visualisation of archaeological results - promotion of archaeology
Bible Old testament Greek Bible
Fluorescence activated cell sorting (FACS)
1. Muscoloskeletal diseases, including osteoarthritis, osteoporosis and rheumatoid arthritis. 2. Tissue engineering for skeletal tissues, cartilage, bone, tendon.
- Molecular biology
- Receptor pharmacology
- G-protein-coupled receptors
- Nicotinic acetylcholine receptors
- Bioactive peptides
- Signal transduction
- Drug discovery
- Translational medicine
Migration of radionuclides Transition metal pollution Environmental chemistry Water treatment Soil-sediment remediation Geochemical modelling
- Diagnostics and treatment for children with special educational needs
- Development and evaluation of innovative projects for persons with a disabilty
- Supervisions and training in aspects of orthopedagogical support for persons with a disability and their parents
Stochastic modelling, simulation methods and theoretical analysis of large systems composed of many locally interacting components. Mathematics and physis of complex structures and systems.
Scanning IR spectra for identification, puity, structure.
Silicides and metallisation: The scaling down towards 0.18µm pro- cesses - and beyond - has a large impact on the silicidation module and demands in-depth material research. CoSi2 is now also generally accepted as a valid alternative for the more advanced technologies. For silicidation of detectors, at PtSi process has been developed using 'Rapid Thermal Processing', whereby ultra thin layers of PtSi are formed homogeneously on Si. The use of Ti/Co on Si (Ti as top layer) has now been characterised for 0.13 µm process. Furthermore the impact of mechanical stress on scaled technologies has been investigated. During the year attention was also paid to new alloys and to the combination of copper with polymers.
- Political and legal framework in East European Countries - Privatization and foreign investment in Russia and the Ukraine - Intellectual property rights in Russia - Regional development in Russia (the Urals). - Minority rights and Russian foreigh policy. - Political and legal aspects of European enlargment - CIS institution building.
Diagnosis - including differential diagnosis - and therapy of speech, language and other communication disorders.
- High resolution conventional and Volumetric Computer tomography. - Biodistribution of Magnetic resonance contrast agents.
Heterogeneous catalysis Porosity measurements (nitrogen physisorption) Sol-gel chemistry Zeolite materials Environmental catalysis Adsorption and adsorbents
- Monitoring human exposure to chemical and physical agents in the occupational and general environment - Environmental and biological monitoring - Occupational hygiene surveys in factories, including risk assessment - Health effects evaluation in workers and in the general population - Evaluation of work incapacity and human damage
Genetic diseases: molecular diagnosis.
(Historical) demography, demografic methods and technics, general sociology, population studies, family sociology
- Clinical ophthalmology - Evaluation of drugs in pre-clinical and clinical trials
Cataract surgery techniques.
Innervation (normal and pathological) of the human gastro intestinal tract.
Innervation (normal and pathological) of the human gastro intestinal tract.
The software package GLAS, which is an acronym for Generic Linear Algebra Software, is a user friendly C++-package for operations on vectors and matrices. The package is still under development but is already used by PhD students in their research. This adds new requirements and functionalities to the software. The software has interfaces to LAPACK, MUMPS, BLAS, UMFPACK.
For further information we refer to the website
Fourier transform infrared (FTIR) spectroscopy is mainly used to analyse the secondary structure of proteins, and to monitor its changes with temperature and pressure. In addition, we use this technique to investigate the phase behaviour of other (watersoluble) polymers.
Our second expertise is the application of high (hydrostatic) pressures to induce phase changes in solid materials and aqueous solutions of (bio)polymers.
Rural poverty Rural development Urban poverty Housing Informal economy Homelessness Town planning Belgium European Union
1. Language proficiency tests for French, including translation French-Dutch/Dutch-French. 2. Application of ICT to language learning.
Soil fertility research, use of radioisotopes in this context. More specifically : soil organic matter dynamics, root turnover, plant growth and nutrient uptake, bioavailability of nutrients and xenobiotics.
- automatic analysis of intonation - prosody in speech synthesis
- Rheology and processing of polymers - Rheology and processing of coatings, suspensions and other non-Newtonian fluids - Performance testing of organic coatings - Safety of chemical plants (safety reporting) - Liquid crystalline polymers. - Blends
Research and development of cardiac support systems.
- Microbiological analysis of foods - Food preservation by high hydrostatic pressure, heat and pulsed electrical fields - Shelf life tests - Antimicrobial food preservatives
Opzetten en uitvoeren van onderzoek en implementatieprojecten m.b.t. klinische zorgaspecten bij kwetsbare ouderen.
- occupational epidemiology - health planning and epidemiology - environmental epidemiology
MOENS MARIE FRANCINE
Research expertise Software tools Courses and seminars
Gynaecological pathology. Fetal and perinatal pathology.
Rheological measurements on liquid materials : polymers, suspensions, coatings, food products, pharmaceuticals, detergents, etc.
Review of computerized tomography or nuclear magnetic resonance scans of the orbit for diagnosis of orbital diseases.
- Quality of life
- Symptom research
- Health outcomes
- Congenital heart disease
- Advanced Practice Nursing
- Discharge management
- Quality control of scintitomographic apparatus (SPECT-PET) - Quality control of radiopharmaceuticals and labelling kits. - Drug evaluation by measurement of metabolic parameters. - Scintigraphic evaluation of drug efficacy in Phase I, II, III. - Synthesis of organic complexing agents. - Labelling of 99mTc and radioiodine labelled compounds. - Determination of biological characteristics of radioactive compound by ex vivo and in vitro methods (mice, rats) and by scintigraphic imaging (mice, rats, rabbits, baboon). - Determination of biologic behaviour of pharmaceuticals by biodistribution studies of their radiolabelled counterparts.
Evaluation of projects concerning the fundamental research and applications of superconductivity and magnetism, as well as different mesoscopic and nanostructured superconducting or magnetic systems.
Bacterial analysis of water Biofilm bacteria Aquatic bacteria Drinking water microbiology Swimming water microbiology Waste water microbiology
Expertise in evaluating the effects of new drugs on cardiac electrical and mechanical function. Our laboratory is equipped with the necessary equipment to measure electrophysiological changes in cardiac isolated tissues or cells, and to measure contractile function in isolated hearts and in myocytes.
- Geological mapping - Petrographic characterization and reconstruction of the dia- genetic evolution of sedimentary rocks - Identification of fluid flow patterns in ancient sediments - Identification and characterization of minerals
- Evaluation of sustainable forest management - LCA (Life Cycle Assessment) for forestry
Respiratory Tumor Unit = performing clinical trials on early diagnosis/chemotherapy/radiotherapy/supportive care in patients with respiratory tumors (lung, mesothelioma). Also included are studies concerning smoking cessation.Clinical trial bureau available.
Evaluation of Prosthetic Dental reconstructions in humans. Clinical and experimental evaluation of materials used in prosthetic dentistry. Specifically : - implant materials - ceramic materials Selective laser sintering for producing frameworks.
Bone behaviour by mechanical stimulation during highly controlled (actuator) set-up experiments (animal).
Boneaugmentation procedures via Preformed Customized Titanium Membranes.
- In vivo evaluation of prosthetic reconstructions on teeth and implants. - In vitro and in vivo quantification of load distribution oral implants. - Success improvement of oral implants.
- Microwave passive components, active devices and circuits
- Measurement and characterisation, modelling, design
- MCM, MMIC, MEMS
- High-frequency digital interconnections
- Architectural design evaluation of real projects or as member of the group in competitions (1) - Computer aided architectural design developments advisors (2) - Development in architectural education (3) - Modelling and virtual reconstruction of buildings and built environment.
NGUYEN MINH THO
Applications of Computers and Quantum-mechanical methods to various chemical problems.
In vitro and in vivo MRI contrast agent research. Techniques involve development of appropriate in vivo models, biodistribution studies, imaging studies, histologic correlations, microradiographic techniques, chemical analysis. Minimally invasive tumor ablation techniques such as laser thermotherapy and radiofraquency ablation. Non-invasive MRI assessment of myocardial viability.
- Review of national policies in the context of the Open Co-ordination in social inclusion;
- participation in non-govermental expert group of hte European Commission on social inclusion;
- assessment of national action plans for social inclusion.
- Postharvest storage of horticultural products
- Postharvest physiology
- Quality of fruit and vegetables: texture, flavour, vitamin content
- Heat and mass transfer
- Mathematical modelling
Lab is specialized in measurements from isolated single cells of all types. We have combined techniques for simultaneous measurements of ionic channels, cell volume, intracellular calcium and mechanostimulation of isolated cells. We study mechanisms of calcium-signalling in endothelial cells, mast cells epithelial cells and cancer cells. We could be consulted in problems concerning mechanosensitivity of endothelial cells, electrophysiology, ionic channels, modulations of NO-synthase by mechanical forces including NO-measurements, cell volume regulation. Experience exists in problems related to MDR-1 mediated transport, fluorescence techniques to measure drug- transport by p-glycoprotein.
Consulting service concerning the quality of a projected edition of a Greek text.
drosophila modelling of human diseases
Image reconstruction from projections. Nuclear cardiology software (PET and SPECT). Quality control of PET and SPECT camera. Medical image processing.
- Legal problems relating to the practice of medicine such as artificial procreation, genetics, euthanasia, medical experimentation, civil and criminal liability, drugs and other. - Medical practice and the European Union. - Organisation of health care. - Professional medical ethics.
- Development cooperation projects: evaluation of projects. - Assessment of universities in developing countries.
(1) fish pathology (2) fouling control (3) intensive aquaculture: induction of spawning (4) ecological studies of fresh water (including environmental toxicology) and environmental aquatic pathogens.
- Consulting with respect to study design and measurement
- Statistical consulting (randomization tests in particular)
Review of scientific programmes on multiple sclerosis Review of biotechnology programmes Glycobiology
Drug development for multiple sclerose Drug development for rheumatoid arthritis Drug development for invasive cancer
- Geological and geochemical mapping and prospection for metals - Prospection, evaluation and characterisation of industrial minerals and mineral raw materials - Testing and optimization of structural clay products
- advertising effects
- consumer behavior
- social psychology of communication and persuasive communication
Professional ethics training Media ethics training
Consultancy on the performance of real time PCR on DNA or RNA extracted from tissue sections.
PEETERS MARIE CHRISTINE
- Environmental analysis (water and soil)
- Food analysis
- Pesticide analysis
Crystal structure analysis and absolute configuration determination by single crystal x-ray diffractometry. Wait : - if good single crystals are delivered : 1- 2 weekss - if crystallisation has to be done : indefinite. X-ray powder diffraction studies in relation to polymorphism,
In vitro evaluation of effect of peptides and other substances on gastrointestinal motility.
Applications of computer and quantum-mechanical methods to various chemical problems.
- European and international social security law; - Comparison of national social security systems; - Specific topics related to social security (for all E.C.-countries + all Central and Eastern European countries. - The social dimension of European integration. SERVICES : research, publications and lectures in the above mentioned fields. Also possibility of consultancy.
- Interpretation of human placental bed biopsies from normal and pathological pregnancies. - Placental and placental bed histology of experimental labora- tory rodents (rat, mouse, hamster).
Maintenance management: strategy optimization (link with business strategy, optimum policy, including e-maintenance) - auditing and performance modelling.
Healthcare logistics: patient logistics - material logistics (focus on equipment & device maintenance/risks)
Clinical neurosurgery. Experimental neurosurgery. Intracranial pressure measurement. Measurement of hydrodynamic parameters of cerebrospinal fluid.
Advice with respect to soil erosion and physical soil degradation problems, hillslope hydrology, soil erosion risk mapping / evaluation, soil and water conservation, desertification.
- soil erosion surveys - analysis of soil erosion processes, modelling - some expertise in erosion control techniques - some expertise in soil and water conservation techniques
POORTINGA YPE H
Intercultural communication, mediation.
Clinical research in gynaecology - abnormal uterine bleeding - cervical intraepithelial neoplasia - genital human papillomavirus infections - contraception - hormonal replacement therapies (menopause)
Design and evaluation of cryptographic primitives, protocols, and systems. Security evaluation and audit of systems for electronic trade and electronic commerce, Internet security, www security, electronic payments,... Security evaluation of software and hardware implementations (including smart cards). Cryptographic libaries (Assembly, C, C++, Java) and development of demonstrators for security applications.
Eating disorders: body experience & body composition & hyper- activity. Psychomotor therapy (exercise & movement therapy) in mental health.
- Pediatric respiratory diseases: asthma, cystic fibrosis, primary ciliary dyskinesia, congenital lung abnormalities, BPD, bronchiectasis, interstitial lung disease, lung disease secondary to immunodeficiencies. - Pediatric lungfunction services. - Pediatric bronchoscopy services-non-invasive ventilation in children.
- Collaborative computing: workflow management and groupware. - Simulation of discrete event systems.
Evaluation of juvenile justice systems: an analysis from an international and comparative perspective.
Aerobic, CO2 and/or anaerobic culturing of oral micro-organisms together with identification of species type by means of biochemical tests.
Oral microbiology (aerobic and anaerobic culturing of oral pathogens), clinical outcome of antibiotics/antiseptics in Periodontology, the analysis of the outcome of oral implants (both in animal studies and humans), the outcome of GBR/GTR, the usefullness of new surgical strategies/materials in Periodontology (including implants, bone substitutes), the analysis of breath, biomarkers in exhaled air, optimal use and limitations of radiological examinations (MSCT, CBCT, panoramic images, intra-oral RX).
Medical imagings using echocardiography and/or magnetic resonance.
Advanced analysis and design techniques to investigate and/or improve the performance of agricultural machinery of to describe the evolution of biological processes taking place in and around the machine. Current research is mainly concentrated upon crop treatment and more specifically upon the improvement of the performance of field sprayers and centrifugal spreaders by appropriate constructive adjustments to the machine or by the introduction of modern control systems. This research fits in with most recent developments in precision farming in which site- specific application of fertilizer and pesticides has top prio- rity.
We are currently performing, in collaboration with the Department of Pediatric Cardiology (U.Z. Gasthuisberg), clinical exercise testing by use of continued gas exchange in pediatric patients with congenital heart deficits.
Design and application of robot hands Tactile sensing systems Applications of shape memory alloys Applications of piezo-electric materials Tools for minimal invasive surgery Design and production of micro-electromechanical components and systems Miniaturisation technology Nano-positioning systems
Media Audience Research
Designing strategies for the generation of (conditional) knock-out and knock-in mice using embryonic stem (ES) cell technologies. Designing strategies for the generation of transgenic mice using ES cell technologies and zygote-injection.
- Exact enumeration of graphs on lattices - Determination of the singularity structure of a function from its series expansions - Computational physics - Mean field renormalization group studies
ROSIER ANNE MARIE
Radioactive tracer studies of materials.
- Mass spectrometry of bio molecules - Oligonucleotide sequencing and mapping of post-transcriptional modifications - Oligopeptide sequencing using mass spectrometry
- Molecular weight measurements of polymers and molecular weight distribution - Composition of polymer mixtures - Glass transition - and melting temperature measurements - Phase transition measurements - Mechanical properties
SCHAERLAEKENS ANNE MARIE
Child-language research can be used to judge children's testimonies. Are stories children tell autentic, fantasy, or a forced repitition of what adults pre-formulated. Some formal and/or narrative characteristics can help to judge wether a story is "spontaneous" or "an imitation" of what adults pre-formulated.
SCHAERLAEKENS ANNE MARIE
Experience in language pathology, especially language desorders in children, is frequently requested by insurance-companies. This experience can help to judge wether reimboursment of speech-therapy is reasonable within international classifications of speech-desorders.
Referee research projects for the (Italian) Ministers dell' Istruzione, dell' Universita e della Ricerca (MIUR).
Evaluation of Prosthetic Dental reconstructions in humans. Clinical and experimental evaluation of materials used in prosthetic dentistry . Specifically : - dental luting cements - tissue conditioners - denture cleansers - implant materials - ceramic materials
- Proteomics, peptidomics - Reverse pharmacology - 2D-electrophoresis - Amino acid sequencing - Immunocytochemistry - Peptide mass fingerprinting - Chromatography - G protein coupled receptor screening - MALDI-TOF mass spectrometry - Q-TOF mass spectrometry - Nano LC - LC-MS
Synthesis and analysis of catalysts and absorbents, in particulary zeolites and clays.
Spectroscopic analysis, including in situ and operandospectroscopy of catalytic surfaces
Organization of nanoparticles into monolayer and multilayer nanofilms
Modeling and theoretical analysis of active sites at catalytic surfaces
- Documentation on Medical Ethics and Law - Research and Educational Training in professional medical ethics, medical law, bioethics, philosophy of medicine
European and international social secret law. Comparison of national social secrets systems. Comparison of health care systems. Specific topics related to social security (for all EU-countries and CEEC), e.g. social protection of self-employed people. Social dimension of European integration. Legal dimension of European debate on social exclusion.
expertise on electronics in the broad sense;
expertise in the field of microwave and millimetre wave techniques, focussing on modelling, measurement, and circuit design aspects;
in-depth expertise on RF (non-)linear measurement techniques;
in-depth expertise on RF (non-)linear transistor and circuit modelling.
- Evaluation of the antibacterial and antifungal activity of disinfectants. - Evaluation of new sterilization techniques.
ex vivo and in vitro messengerRNA (mRNA) expression analysis in animal models and human tissue samples
interaction between microRNA's and 3'-untranslated region (UTR) of mRNA targets
regulation of the pancreatic beta cell by food intake
Histologic diagnosis of soft tissue tumors.
Preventie van werkgerelateerde klachten aan het bewegingsapparaat, met een bijzondere aandacht voor rug-, nek- en schouderklachten.
Gezondheidsbeleid op school op het gebied van de promotie van fysieke activiteit.
- Building & practical framework for ethical principles - Ethical practices and policies must be founded upon a clear, understandable and communicable SET of principles that are not simply reducible to codes or rules - Women's studies, gender studies.
Expertise in various catalytic chemical transformations within the area of oleochemistry:
- Hydrogenation (including the high topics of trans-free conversions)
- Transesterification: biodiesel production
- C skeletal rearrangments
The study of melting behavior and polymorphism issues.
Usage of lipid mixtures as various coatings, barriers, drug eluting media, etc.
Selective functionalization of fats and oils for application as coatings, barriers, drug eluting media, functional foods, etc.
Micellar catalysis for enantioselective chemical transformations
Organocatalysis with e.g. aminoacids and oligopeptides or natural substances such as glycolipoproteïns (bacterial LTA).
Catalytic transformation on sugar-like molecules for synthesizing relevant synthons for the fine chemicals industry.
- Isomerization, epimerization, selective defunctionalization, oxidation, hydrogenation of sugar molecules.
- Functionalization and activation of glycals
Synthesis of solid catalysts (zeolites, layered materials, mixed oxide, heteropolyacids, carbon)
Screening of solid catalysts in liquid and gas phase applications: oxidation, reduction, acid-base, metathesis, etc
Characterization of solid materials: surface analysis, determination of active sites, mechanism
Conversion of biomass, greenhouse gases, petrochemicals for the productions of bulk, commodity and perfomance chemicals.
- Synthesis of metal clusters in the confinements of porous highly dispersed materials
- Catalytic properties of the metal clusters: oxidation, hydrogenation, ...
- Catalytic properties of metalclusters for the synthesis of carbon naotubes
- Characterization of the metal clusters: in situ spectroscopy
Usage of cold or atmospheric plasma technology
- for chemical transformation (with or without catalyst) and
- for entrapment of catalytic items (such as enzymes, RNA, etc) in organic polymer films
- for biomass activation
- for thermo-labile powder functionalisation at ambient conditions
- for solid catalyst synthesis
Catalytic biomass conversion for (transportable) energy purposes: Reforming of biogas, bioethanol, glycerol, sugar-like waste solutions, starch and (ligno)(hemi)cellulose in gas and liquid phase reactor set-ups.
Catalytic biomass conversion for bio-based materials: synthesis of building blocks from renewable resources (glycerol, (ligno)(hemi)cellulose) and catalytic (single site) polymerisation of the building blocks into biopolymers, e.g. polylactic acid and thelike materials
Catalytic biomass conversion for chemicals productions: synthesis of commodity and performance chemicals such as lower alcohols and acids from renewable resources.
- Growth of carbon nanostructures such as carbon nanotubes (CNT: SWCNT, MWCNT and fibers) under various (flow) conditions. Catalysis and sorption applications
- Growth of CNT in confinements of structures and pores of solid crystalline material (e.g., zeolites): catalysis and electronic applications
- growth of graphene on flat substrates
- Growth of carbon coatings inside (meso)porous structured material: catalysis, chromatographic and sorption applications
- Functionalisation of carbon-like materials: catalysis, sorption, chromatography.
Structural Dynamics of Solid Biomass, Adsorbents and Catalysts
- Expertise in second/foreign language acquisition research: multilingualism, intercultural competence, ICT in language acquisition; CLIL (Content-and-Language Integrated Learning)
- Expertise in a wide aray of research methods (quantitative and qualitative).
- Expertise in textbook research and development: evaluation of materials for teaching foreign languages.
- Expertise in teacher education.
Quality control and databases of medical interventions (national and regional level).
The group organises all aspects of off-pump coronary education. 1. Presentations for large audiences. 2. Brain storming sessions for smaller groups (20-30). 3. On-site trainings in other cardiac centers. 4. In-house hands-on trainings. 5. Inanimate model training. 6. Animal laboratory training. 7. Literature review (CTsNet Innovation Center). 8. Brochure creation (CTsNet brochure). 9. Slide collection creation (CTsNet slide collection). The group organises consulting activities to the Industry on OPCAB training and OPCAB product development.
1. Nursing care management and organisation: nurse staffing models, patient assignment models, reenigineering, clinical pathways, care programmes, health care holes. 2. Nursing information and informatics: electronic patient records, standardisation in nursing languages, nursing minimum data sets, added value, quality indicators. 3. Nursing research: surveys, clinical trials, the field of expertise is on large sample data and non-parametric statis- tics, evidence based care. 4. The role of nurses (nursing) in health care policy making. 5. Hospital financing: especially nursing costs.
- Low temperature nuclear orientation. - Positron polarimetry. - Particle detection at low temperatures
- Laserspectroscopy - Trace analysis in solids and gases - Characterization of laser and optical component performances
Economic evaluation of drugs, medical devices and related products
Analysis of pharmaceutical policy
Testing psychomotor development in children from 3 years and older and giving advice for school, rehabilitation and therapy.
1. Geological and geostructural mapping 2. microstructural analysis 3. quantitative determination of anisotropy of clay-rich sediments and rocks.
The lab focuses on the regulation of calcium homeostasis underlying the contractility of the normal and diseased heart, and offers expertise on cellular and molecular mechanisms involved in cardiac hypertrophy and heart failures, as well as arrhythmias.
- Industrial organization studies. - Strategic management. - International business.
Waterbouwkundig Laboratorium Ministerie van de Vlaamse Gemeenschap Departement Leefmilieu en Infrastructuur Berchemlei 115 2140 Borgerhout (Antwerpen)
- Determination of Magnoliophytina (flowering plants) - Floral nectary and floral nectar characteristics - Biological evaluation of natural sites - Floral ontogeny and morphology - Wood anatomy - Palynology - DNA-sequencing - Cladistic analysis - Floral anatomy - Pollen analysis - Archaeopalynology - Vegetation reconstruction
Consultancy, research and design related to urban planning problems of different nature: urban renovation, town extension and structure plans, traffic organization, feasibility studies. Particular interest in reconversion of obsolete industrial sites and outworn infrastructures (harbour and railway-yards).
Risk assessment of metals and radionuclides in soil.
- Object oriented software development - Conceptual modelling with UML-types of approaches - Enterprise or Domain modelling with MERODE - Development of Model driven Software Architecture - Consistency checking of specifications - Development of Case-tools - Eiffel. Programming language - Auditing of development projects - Training in Object Oriented modelling
in het kader van mijn voorzitterschap van Belgische afdeling (Vlaanderen) van MAPRYAL (Internationale Assosiatie Docenten Russisch en Russische Literatuur) - http://www.mapryal.org/
organiseer ik samen met universiteit Mons, Centrum voor Weteschap en Cultuur (Brussel) en Vliebergh-Senciecentrum jaarlijkse conferenties voor de docenten Russisch en andere Slavische talen:
26.09.2012 "Wetenschappelijk-praktische conferentie over actuele problemen in het onderricht van de van de Russische taal en literatuur voor anderstaligen" - met wetenschap. delegatie MAPRYAL Russische Federatie
25.11.2011 "Russische taal voor verschillende leeftijdscategorieën, interesses en beroepen: nieuwe didactische technologieën" - met wetenschap. delegatie uit MGU(Rusland).
03. 12. 2010 "Electronische bronnen in het onderricht van de Russische en Poolse taal
12.12.2008 "De wereld van de Russistiek"
30.11.2007 "Slavische talen: het systeem en de wereld
Evaluation of the archimedes Prize.
- Ergonomic analysis of existing and new workstations - Training employers to impose working techniques - Organisation of seminars on ergonomic logics
Marine micropaleontology - Age determinations - Stratigraphic analysis - Paleoenvironmental analysis of marine sediments
1. To model problems in operations research, operations management, supply chain management, industrial engineering. 2. To customize or develop software for solving these problems. 3. To assist with implementations of decision support systems.
Know-how in systems analysis and mathematical model building.
Computer modelling of the structure of proteins. Bioinformatics
- Population-based studies - Clinical trials - Environmental epidemiology - Diagnosis and treatment of hypertension
Isolation of enzymes and determination of enzyme activities : a) enzymes involved in glycogen metabolism b) phosphoprotein phosphatases Analysis of phosphorylated membrane proteins
Advice on cultural aspects of present-day China (negociating with Chinese, social relationships, table rituals, etc...).
Object oriented software development (analysis, design, implementation).
- Services to outside parties are rendered regularly, both regarding expertise and experimental work. - Apparatus is available for measurements in different areas of solid state physics, in particular on metals and semiconductors - The main expertise deals with the characterization of defects and conduction electrons in solids. - Chemical etching. - Surface imaging. - ESR standards and calibration. - Electrical analysis and characterization of semiconductor/ insulator structures. - ESR dating technique
STORME MATTHIAS EDWARD
Reform of - Belgian or European - civil or commercial legislation, especially on the fields of contracts, torts, trusts and property.
Diagnosis and research, workshops and consultancy regarding: leadership, ethics, well being, team work, change processes.
Analysis of 3D protein structure and rational drug design
Crystallization of proteins: initial screening and optimization
Molecular cloning, recombinant protein expression & purification
Phasing and refinement of macromolecular structures
Diffraction data collection (in-house /synchrotron)
- computer vision - scientific computing - medical image computing - 3-D computer graphics - image guided intervention - computer aided surgery - medical imaging - population and disease modeling
- Tissue culture techniques - Library tropical crop husbandry and tissue culture - Advise in crop husbandry of tropical crops - Musa (banana and plantain) germplasm collection - Tropical greenhouse - Cryopreservation - Breeding tropical crops - Farming systems - Biodiversity - Proteomics - Functional genomics
Modelling and experimental identification of mechatronic systems: robots and machine tools.
Design of advanced (model based) controllers for mechatronic systems : accurate tracking and positioning, active noise and vibration control, design and implementation of advanced feedback and feedforward controllers.
Analysis of language corpora into descriptive statements that can be integrated in a grammatical format; use of field-work methods.
Ann Swillen is professor at the Department of Human Genetics, KU Leuven and at the Department of Rehabilitation Sciences, KU Leuven (University of Leuven, Belgium). Trained as an educational psychologist, she is also affiliated to CME-UZ (the clinical unit of the Department of Human genetics), an international centre of excellence in the field of clinical and molecular genetics. A particular focus is on individuals with genetic, neuropsychiatric, and neurodevelopmental conditions that affect learning and behavior. Through a multifaceted collaborative approach with many disciplines, we aim for four goals:
1. Better define the studied neuro-genetic syndromes (e.g. del22q11.2, dupl22q11, del22q13.3, Turner syndrome ;
2. Identify mechanisms of cognitive impairment;
3. Identify mechanisms for increased psychiatric risk;
4. Using specific neuro-genetic conditions as homogeneous genetic models to better understand the interaction among genetic, behavioural and environmental factors in developmental disorders. Ultimately, a better knowledge of neuropsychiatric and neurodevelopmental conditions will help us to refine our treatment strategies and improve the life of affected children and their families.
Besides her research, Prof. Ann Swillen is (since 1994) the coordinator of the multidisciplinary 22q11 DS clinic, and is actively involved in sharing knowledge on the implications of genetic syndromes on cognition and behavior and the practical implications for education/teaching etc by giving multiple lectures to professionals on national and international meetings, and to national and international parent-patient associations .
Prof. Ann Swillen is an international recognized authority in the field of development, cognition and behaviour in 22q11 DS, and she is author of more than 60 peer-reviewed scientific publications in the field of medical genetics and behavioural phenotypes. She is member of different international expert panels (e.g. international 22q11 DS Foundation, European VCFS-EF, ) , and co-founder of the International Brain-Behaviour 22q11 DS Consortium (2011) and the 22q11 DS Society (2014). Finally, Prof. Ann Swillen is PI (Europe A) of the NIH Grant U01 1U01MH101722-01 on Genomic Risk and Resilience in 22q11 Deletion Syndrome: A Window into the Genetic Architecture of Mental Disorders, the IBBC 22q11 consortium, a collaboration between caregivers and scientists from 22 institutions and five genotyping sites throughout the world.
- Design of Social Science Research - Comparative Research - Survey Research - Questionaire Construction - Exit-Polling - Research into Ethnic Minority Groups - Survey Sampling Techniques - Political Sociology - Voting Behaviour - Extreme Right and Populist Parties
Experimental as well as observational studies are carried out to investigate the relation between the human diet and health. Focus is on prevention of chronic diseases (http://www.kuleuven.be/nutepi <u>www.ku leuven.ac.be/nutepi).
Main topics are:
- Evaluation of food consumption measurements
- Cardiovascular disease epidemiology
- Nutrition and all cause, cardiovascular and cancer mortality
- Food components and the oxidative status of blood and breath condensate and the cardiovascular risk profile
- New functional food components in relation to chronic disease biomarkers
Current research projects are:
- Stability and in vivo bioavailability of folates (from 2004). Project in cooperation with the laboratory of food technology.
- Biomarkers inflammation and oxidative stress in exhaled breath condensate: relationship with lifestyle and diet (from 2002).
- Stevioside research (from 2002). Projects in cooperation with the laboratories of Physiology and immunology of domestic animals and Plant physiology. Metabolism of stevioside in healthy volunteers and effects on blood pressure and glucose metabolism.
- Projects within the Belgian Interuniversity study on Nutrition and Health (BIRNH-study). Cohort of 11000 Belgians with cause-specific mortality follow-up (from 1998).
Evaluations of statistical data, data analysis, statistical computing and software. In particular extreme value analysis. Construction of stochastic models for systems with non-deterministic components. Statistical problems in environmetrics. Actuarial and statistical problems in reinsurance.
Oral microbiology (culture and molecular techniques), experimental adjunctive non-surgical periodontal therapy, oral probiotics, oral prebiotics, non-surgical esthetic periodontal therapy, bacterial adhesion to hard and soft tissues, bacterial-host interactions, biofilm control via antiseptics, antibiotics, probiotics, prebiotics and predatory bacteria, biofilm formation, environmental effects on bacterial adhesion, colonization and biofilm formation, microbiological communication and bacterial interactions.
Know-how concerning biochemical and molecular-genetic research on yeast. Genetic engineering of yeast with the aim of improving industrially relevant properties such as fermentation capacity, stress-resistance, growth characteristics, etc.
Absorption characteristics of materials used in building and room acoustics. Airborne and impact sound insultation of buildings and building elements. Studies of outdoor sound propagation and traffic noise via indoor Noise reduction in buildings and factories. Environmental noise impact assessment studies. Thermal conductivity of building and insulating materials. Thermal, thermo-elastic and acoustical properties of anisotropic liquid crystalline and polymeric materials and layered structures Thermal and elastic property measurements of functional gradient materials.
Young Athletes talent screening/detection
- Structural Equation Modeling
- Linkage/association analyses
- Non-destructive ultrasonic testing of multilayers
Cohesive Sediment Transport Mechanics
Mathematical & physical analysis - group theory, field theory.
In the past years we have acquired extensive expertise in the multidisciplinary assessment and phenotyping of the respiratory patient. Specifically expertise is present on the assessment of peripheral and respiratory muscle function, lung function and exercise tolerance.
In our research group I have acquired expertise in conducting research related to the methodology of physical activity monitoring using several devices (including accelerometers). In several international projects this expertise is exploited with academic partners and partners from the pharmaceutical industry. An example of this is the PROacctive project (www.proactivecopd.com)
Consultancy on web-based information projects in the cultural heritage sector. Advice on feasibility and preparation for calls.
Pharmacological/toxicological risk assessments (in vivo, in vitro). Consultancy.
Forensic toxicology : screening and analysis of drugs of abuse, of toxic substances in general, as such, or in biological fluids and organs (post-mortem).
Screening of inorganic and organic substances on membrane-bound proteins (receptors, ion channels, interaction with drugs and toxic compounds).
VAN AERSCHOT ARTHUR
- Chemical DNA synthesis techniques.
- Synthesis of nucleoside and nucleotide analogues.
- Oligopeptide synthesis
VAN ASSCHE FRANS ANDRE
- Induction of fetal growth retardation. - Vascular reaction in pregnant and in non pregnant rats. - Placental transport mechanisms.
VAN ASSCHE FRANS ANDRE
- Use of pharmacological agents in experimental diabetes and pregnancy and experimental hypertension and pregnancy. - Laser equipment. - Computing of fetal and uterine signals during pregnancy and labour.
VAN ASSCHE JOZEF
Plant identification. Vegetation analysis. Biological evaluation for nature conservation. Restoration of waste land.
VAN ASSCHE WALTER
- Orthogonal polynomials : theory and applications - Special functions - Approximaton theory - Computational complexity - Stochastic processes (Markov, Birth-and-Death, Random Walk) - Recurrence relations - discrete mathematics - Fractals and Self reproducing sets - Time series - Analytic number theory
VAN CAYSEELE PATRICK
Strategic management and merger activity. (Economic, strategic and regulatory aspects of mergers and acquisitions in Benelux).
VAN CUTSEM ERIC
The development of new treatment options for gastrointestinal cancer.
VAN DAEL HERMAN
VAN DAELE ALPHONS
Operator algebras (C*-algebras and von Neumann algebras) (Locally compact) Quantum groups
VAN DAMME BOUDEWIJN
- Evaluation of action and toxicity on morphology on renal tissue - Histologic diagnosis of : renal diseases bone tumors
VAN DE CAPELLE ANTOINE
- Telecommunication systems, especially radiocommunication system - Components : antennas, radiopropagation, microwave & millimeter wave circuits
VAN DE VEN WILLEM
Molecular Genetics, Molecular Biology, Molecular Oncology, Animal Cell Biotechnology
VAN DE VOORDE WIM
Forensic medecine including: - forensic pathologic & postmortem investigations - forensic examination of biological (human) evidence - medico legal expertises
VAN DEN BERGH OMER
Mental load, mental stress, job stress and psychological and psychosomatic health complaints.
VAN DEN BERGH OMER
Measuring subjective well-being, subjective health and stress.
VAN DEN BOSCH BART
Consultancy on the architectures, selection development and/or implementation of hospital information systems.
VAN DEN BULCK JAN
- Effects of the media on perceptions, attitudes and behaviours.
- Epidemiological approaches to media effects.
- Focus on health and law enforcement issues.
VAN DEN ENDE WIM
Quantification of soluble carbohydrates and amino acids in plant material
(high performance anion exchange chromatography with pulsed amperometric detection).
VAN DEN KERCKHOVE ERIC
VAN DEN MOOTER GUY
- Preformulation aspects - Drug delivery - Drug targeting - Characterisation of drug substance - Polymorphism - Pharmaceutical excipients - Powder compaction studies
VAN DEN NOORTGATE WIM
- Methodology of the social and behavioral research
- Statistical analysis: multilevel analysis, meta-analysis, item response theory
- Statistical software: SAS, MLwiN, ...
VAN DEN OORD JOOST
Histological and immunohistochemical studies of skin disorders, in particular of malignant melanoma.
VAN DER BRUGGEN BART
Expertise on separation processes, wastewater treatment, drinking water and process water production, mainly using membrane processes.
VAN DER BRUGGEN BART
Analytical techniques: chemical analyses in liquid and solid matrices. Determination of metals (ICP-MS), anions (IC), organic micropollutants (GC, headspace GC-MS, HPLC).
VAN DER EYCKEN ERIK
Microwave chemistry, Combinatorial Chemistry, Solid Phase Chemistry, Transition Metal Chemistry, Synthesis of Bioactive Natural Product(analogues), Heterocyclic compounds and Peptidomimetics
VAN DER PERRE GEORGES
Design and evaluation of devices and processes for medical applications (primarily in prthopaedics and dentistry).
VAN DER PERRE GEORGES
Design and evaluation of devices and processes in rehabilitation and ergonomics. Mainly mechanical systems for protection and support of the human body.
VAN DOMMELEN DANIEL
Measurement of material properties in microwave and HF range Heat treatment (R-oven, HF-oven, microwave oven) Plasma torch application
VAN DRIESSCHE WILLY
- Impedance analysis of biological tissues. Application to endo- and exocytotic phenomena. - Transepithelial electrophysiology with application of noise analysis. - Cell volume regulation. - Bioluminescence - ATP measurements.
VAN DUPPEN PIETER
Nuclear physics, nuclear structure, radiation detection, radioactive ion beams, isotope separation, resonant laser ionisation, accelerators.
VAN ELDERE JOHAN
Molecular microbiological techniques Antibiotic usage & development Monitoring of resistance trends
VAN EYCKEN LUC
- Comparative study of compression techniques, including standards such as H2xx, JPEG, JBIG, MPEG - Courses on these topics
VAN EYNDE ALEYDE
Assays for determination whether a protein is associated with RNA/DNA in vitro (RNA/DNA filter binding assays) and in vivo (ChIP-RIP assays). Growth assays for determination whether a protein is involved in cellular proliferation.
VAN GELDER HILDE
Expertise on works of art (authenticity, estimation of art historical value). Specialism: −
Belgian art after 1945 − Belgian painting 1830−present − Minimal art − Conceptual art −
VAN GERVEN THOMAS
Intensification of chemical processes
Sustainable processes, waste and waste treatment
VAN GOOL LUC
Consulting for industrial applications of computer vision. Courses on image processing and its applications, introductory as well as advanced.
VAN HAMME HUGO
- Speech processing. - Noise-robust speech recognition. - Speech recognition for learning applications. - Computational models of language acquisition.
VAN HECKE ETIENNE
- economic and social geography : social, demographic, economic data - analysis of socio-economic environment - localization aspects - Spatial organisation
VAN HECKE PAUL
NMR spectroscopy and NMR imaging in-vivo on small animals and human limbs ex-vivo on (perfused) organs, biopsies and isolated cells for metabolic and functional studies (e.g. organ preservation)
VAN HERCK GUSTAAF
- accountancy : e.g. consolidation, cost and financial accounting, auditing - financial management of hospitals, general management of hospitals - implementation of accountingregulations for hospitals In the past, there were several consulting services for hospitals. - cost accounting in hospitals
VAN HOOTEGEM GEERT
Quantitative and qualitative research; workshops and consultancy concerning: labour market tendencies, new production concepts, work organisation, team based work, work load; qualification profiles; redesign of work organisation; flexibility; wellbeing at work; information society
VAN HOUDENHOVE BOUDEWIJN
Medico-legal expertises in chronic fatigue syndrome, fibromyalgia, conversion disorder, and other psychosomatic syndromes
VAN HOUTTE PAUL
"Metals forming" Work hardening during forming of metals Bulk and sheet material forming processes: calculation of forces, stresses and strains; formability Development of microstructure, crystallographic texture and internal stresses during the plastic deformation of polycrystalline materials (metals, polymers, ceramics) Mathematical modelling of the plastic deformation of polycrystalline materials.
VAN HOVE HERWIG
- Research on clean and real solid surfaces and interfaces semiconductor electroce materials for electrochemical applications - Analysis of water and soil; Detection and analysis of : - elements : Na K Mg Ca Sr Ba Ti V Cr Mn Fe Co Ni Pt Cu Ag Au Zn Cd Al Ga Cn Si Ge Sn Pb As Se - anions : SO3-- SO4-- NO3- PO4---- - organic compounds pH and conductivity measurements
VAN HUFFEL SABINE
- experience on mathematical modeling of complex systems and processes in medicine, technology and agriculture, elimination of noise, separation of sources. - algorithms, software off-line and on-line adaptive techniques - quantitative time-domain analysis in Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy. - accurate quantification of near-infrared spectroscopic data : wavelength and chromophore selection, regression and principal component analysis. - accurate quantitation of the renal retention function in renography - analysis of somatosensory evoked potentials
VAN HUFFEL SABINE
- biomedical signal processing : techniques have been developed to monitor the antepartum fetal electrocardiogram (FECG) - applications in ECG and EEG-signal processing - algorithmic developments
VAN HULLE CYNTHIA
Corporate finance, investment decisions, functioning of financial markets and institutions, portfoliomanagement, financial engineering, development of financial products, development of financial software, corporate restucturing (merges and acquisitions, buy-outs).
VAN HULLE KAREL
- Financial reporting in Belgium and in other EC-member states - Problems of accounting law
VAN HULLE MARC
Artificial neural networks. Unsupervised learning Clustering, categorization and pattern recognition Data modelling and analysis Non-parametric regression Data mining
VAN HUMBEECK JAN
Characterization of the structure and microstructure of materials Thermal analysis Measurement of physical properties of materials Biomaterials
VAN HUMBEECK JAN
"Metals and Alloys" "Aluminium alloys Copper alloys Steel Development of new alloyys Shape memory alloys Thermomechanical treatments. Biomaterials
VAN IMPE WILLIAM
Laboratory testing : - determination of physical characteristics of soil samples - mechanical testing : direct and simple shear tests, cell-tests, strain or stress controlled triaxial tests, cyclic traixial tests, plane strain tests, vane tests, cone penetration tests, free torsion pendulum, calibration chamber tests, parametric studies. - spectral analysis of surface waves (SASW) research: Soil dynamics, environmental soil improvement. Bearing capacity and settlement behaviour of shallow and deep foundations, slope stability, groundwater seepage (F.E. modeling), dynamic loading of foundations (model tests), soil improvement techniques, environmental geotechnics.
VAN LAERE ANDRÉ
Enzymatic analysis. Carbohydrate analysis.
VAN LANGENDONCK JOZEF
Developing and improving social security laws & regulations.
VAN LERBERGHE KAREL
Expertises concerning Biblical, Phoenician, Hittite, Mesopotamian and ANcient-Egyptian antiquities as well for the texts as for objects (authenticity, dating, determination of value).
VAN LEUVEN FREDDY
Transgenic mice Neurodegeneration Alzheimer's disease
VAN LEUVEN FREDDY
Transgenics : - overexpression - homologous recombination Protein sequencing Gene structure Alzheimer's Disease: cell-biology and transgenic mouse and rat model systems
VAN LIL EMMANUEL
- antennas : (phased-)array and adaptive - antenna measurements - phase shifters - passive microwave networks - moment methods, finite elements, spectral methods - modal matching- and expansion methods, time domain - microwave field problems in dielectric dissipative materials - microwave medical and industrial applications - telecommunication systems - microwave circuits (linear, non-linear) - microwave circuits measurements - computer networks - tropospheric propagation - on-site field measurements - coverage area measurements
VAN LINT JOHAN
Analysis of the role of protein kinases in health and disease.
Identification of protein phosphorylation sites.
Development of phosphospecific antibodies.
Analysis of the functional consequences of the phosphorylation of a protein.
Development of protein kinase assays.
Development and analysis of protein kinase inhibitors
VAN LOMMEL ALFONS
VAN MECHELEN IVEN
Advice on classificatory data analysis. Expert knowledge extraction.
VAN MEERBEEK BARTHOLOMEUS
Consultant of dental materials toward dental materials industry, more specific concerning dental adhesive materials.
VAN MEERVELT LUC
- X-ray analysis of single crystals - structure determination
- Molecular modelling
- Cambridge crystallographic data bank
VAN NEER WILLEM
The Laboratory of Comparative Anatomy and Biodiversity has expert ise in the identification, quantification and interpretation of faunal remains from archaeological and late Quaternary sites in Europe, the Near East and Africa. In addition, there is expertise in the analysis of growth increments present in the otoliths and other skeletal parts of fishes, and of cementum line analysis in mammal teeth.
VAN ORSHOVEN JOS
Geographic Information Science and Technology applied to land evaluation, land use planning and management
VAN OUDHEUSDEN DIRK
Expertise in operations research; more precisely in mathematical programming, combinatiorial optimization, and stochastic decision modelling. The application area is operations and production management, finite capacity scheduling, logistics, distribution and (public) transportation. Expertise in work study (method study, work measurement).
VAN POPPEL HENDRIK
Second opinion for patients who because of tumor persistence or recurrence after BCG instillations, or candidates for radical surgery (cystectomy and urinary diversion).
VAN PUT INEKE
Expertise in the field of Buddhism, Japanese religions, and Japanese language and culture. Translation services.
VAN PUYVELDE PETER
- rheology of liquids (melts, emulsions, filled systems, gels,...)
- microstructure determination during processing
- polymer processing
- biobased materials
VAN RAEMDONCK DIRK
The influence of different preservation solutions, blood analogues, drugs on ischemia-reperfusion injury can be avaluated.
VAN ROSSUM MARC
VAN SCHEPDAEL ANN
Drug Analysis using separation techniques, with focus on capillary
electrophoresis. Study of enzyme-substrate interactions by capillary
electrophoresis. Structure determination of drug impurities by LC/MS.
VAN STEENBERGHE DANIEL
- Evaluation of effect of antimicrobials on periodontitis - Clinical evaluation of permucosal oral implants - Jaw muscle function - Computer assisted surgery
VAN VELDHOVEN PAUL
- Peroxisomal lipid metabolism
- Bioactive sphingolipids
- Measurement of peroxisomal enzymes in human tissues (biochemical diagnosis of peroxisomal diseases)
- Isolation of cell organelles
- Isolation/identification of lipids.
VAN WOLPUTTE STEVEN
Since 1995, Steven Van Wolputte's fieldwork concentrates on north-west Namibia the border region with Angola and the secondary city of Opuwo. Having taken an interest in the past and present of a local, semi-nomadic culture and its sometimes troubled relationship with a globalized modernity, he published on local notions of self and identity, and in the domains of material culture, medical anthropology, and political anthropology. At current, Van Wolputtes research focus is on rural-urban interactions, notably in the fields of popular culture, mobility, and of the so-called informal economy.
Steven Van Wolputte was the promoter of a project on political ecology of the Kunene frontier. He supervises doctoral research on the performance of memory in northern Namibia (L.E. Bleckmann), on the making and unmaking of identity in the border region between Namibia and Angola (E. Hoorelbeke), on the urban economy in Moshe, Tanzania (K. Asselberg), and (as co-promoter) on local notions of sexuality and female identity in the context of female circumcision in Kenya (T. Esho). He recently co-edited a volume on urban social spaces (Van Wolputte & Fumanti 2010) and one on borders and frontiers in Africa.
Steven Van Wolputte is Program Director of the Master in Social and Cultural Anthropology.
VANDAMME ANNE MIEKE
1. Forensics. 2. HIV drug resistance. 3. Database solutions
1. Molecular epidemiology for forensic purposes. The extensive genetic variability of HIV and HCV allows contact tracing by phylogenetic analysis of viral sequences in individuals suspected of having acquired the virus due to a specified contact (e.g. a criminal or medical act).
2. Drug resistance testing for HIV. Services can be provided in terms of genotypic or phenotypic resistance profiles, and their interpretation for therapeutic decisions.
3. Database solutions for storing genetic and clinical information. Your own database solution for your genetic and clinical data using free ware systems and offering you the source code. You can perform your own maintenance or negotiate with us a maintenance contract.
Multivariate statistics & Experimental design
Recycling of rest streams: bottom ash, fly ash, automotive shredder residue, contaminated soil
VANDEN ABEELE PIERRE
Research and advice in the area of management strategy and marketing management.
VANDEN BROECK JOZEF
We have expertise in insect physiology (neuro-endocrinology) and molecular biology.
- Resource exploration - Geological aspects in environmental studies (planning, waste disposal, in particular nuclear waste disposal - Stratigraphic determinations - Mineralogical and textural properties of rocks and sediments - Clay minerals
Development of in-service programs for school leaders
- electromagnetic modelling - antenna modelling - antenna measurements - numerical techniques - microstrip antenna application - satellite antennas - EMC - theory - phased arrays - field measurements - EMC - problems - Electromagnetic radiation problems (GSM)
Micro-level evaluation of Trade Policy
- Trade Protection and domestic firms' market power
- Trade Protection, Productivity and Innovation of domestic firms
- Economic Analysis of Antidumping Policy
Corporate Tax Competition in Europe
- Measuring Effective Corporate Tax Rate at the firm level
- Profit-shifting and Transfer Pricing
- Credit Constraints and Investment Behavior
- Foreign Direct Investment and Unions
- Antidumping policy of EU - Market power and productivity measurement of firms - Pricing decisions of firms - Trade and trade policy - Corporate taxation
- Gene therapy expertise - Vector development know-how
- Production and purification of polyclonal (peptide-) and monoclonal antibodies. - Protein phosphorylations as signal transduction mode.
Analysis and modelling of structural behaviour of components: stresses, deformations, fatigue lite estimation.
- Advice on design and implementation of selection programs - Statistical analysis of experimental data
VANDER SLOTEN JOZEF
Design and evaluation of devices and processes in rehabilitation and ergonomics. Mainly mechanical systems for protection and support of the human body.
VANDER SLOTEN JOZEF
Design and evaluation of devices and processes for medical applications (primarily in orthpaedics and dentistry).
The rapidly expanding Clinical Research Unit of Anestheiology has 3 full-time collaborators. Supplementary support is given by the staff anesthesiologists of the dept. The clinical research unit is active in and can be sollicited for contract research purpo- ses. Round the clock coverage for patient and result monitoring is assured. Technical equipment is own by the unit. The unt has own facilities in the university hospitals. The unit sollicits the collaboration of patients for participation in the various studies. The expertise of Anesthesia-Anesthesiology covers all aspects of modern clinical anesthesia and care for critical patients in the whole peri-operative period. The dept. has at its disposal the latest and most sophisticated instruments for monitoring of the cardio-circulatory systems and nervous system.
Fluorescence activated cell sorting (FACS)
Experience in mathematical modeling of complex systems and processes in medicine, technology and agriculture, elimination of noise, separation of sources. Algorithms, software off-line and on-line adaptive techniques Experience in control of complex systems.
- stohastic signals and systems - characterization of randomness - complex systems, nonlinear systems - cellular automata, chaotic behaviour - fractal structures - (biomedical) signal processing - algorithms for signal separation - PC-based data-acquistion - design and system theoritcal analysis of neural networks - computer based controller design for multivariable industrial processes - algorithms for system identification - numerical linear algebra
- development of new algorithms for data protection - computer security - data transmission - study and evaluation of protection algorithms
- expertise in the field of concrete, steel and masonry; examination both of material and construction itself - designing and testing of new methods for constructions
women and gender in antiquity
Evaluation of cardio-respiratory status during exercise, in collaboration with Prof. Dr. R. Fagard, Cardiac Rehabilitation.
Bepalen van VWF activiteit en levels en DNA sequentie in het kader van de diagnose van VWD.
Bepalen van ADAMTS13 activiteit en antigen levels en van de DNA sequentie van het ADAMTS13 cDNA in het kader van de diagnose van TTP.
Consulting on setting up and reforming tax systems in the area of tax, VAT and sales taxes and excises. Consulting on tax conditions for entry in the E.U.
- Development of new membranes for separations and catalysis (polymeric, ceramic and organomineral)
- Incorporation of fillers in polymeric membranes for improved performance in solvent and aqueous medium
- Preparation of ultra-thin ceramic membranes
- Description of membrane transport mechanisms
- Study of transport of solutes and solvents through nanofiltration and reverse osmosis membranes
- High-throughput testing of membranes
- Development of equipment and strategies to allow fast, automated screening and optimisation of membranes and process parameters
- Catalytic membranes
- Incorporation of homogeneous and heterogeneous catalysts in polymeric membranes to improve their performance
- Coupling of homogeneously catalysed processes to membrane separations to allow catalyst recycle and facilitated product purification
- location factors and spatial distribution of economic activities - regional economic development - individual firm/branche location - geo-marketing - structure of the Belgian (Flemish) housing stock - the choise and the use of GIS (Geographical Information System) for socio-economic applications
Development of ICT-tools for higher education (web courses) in socio-economic and political geography.
- quantum chemical calculations of small to medium size organic and inorganic compounds - theoretical analysis of molecular structure and properties - computational chemistry - molecular modeling
- Clinical Chemistry
- Regulation Intermediary Metabolism
- NMR Spectroscopy in vivo
- Laboratory quality assurance
Training marital enrichment for managers.
Advice and assistance with regard to language problems among migrant workers (in particular, the Italian community in Belgium) Tasks have already been carried out for third parties (including Italian government)
Advice and assistance about the Italian language and/or relations with Italy.
The focus is feeding problems and gastrointestinal motility in infants and children. As a part , we run a multidisciplinary feeding clinic where young infants and children with severe feeding disorders are seen by a pediatric gastroenterologist, feeding therapist, nutritionist, psychologist. Presentation, management and follow-up of these patients are kept in a data base.
Modern and Contemporary German History - German Studies - Memory Studies - South African Studies
Statistical analysis of medical data.
- Theoretical mechanics - Quantum mechanics - Quantum optics - Statistical mechanics : equilibrium and non-equilibrium phenomena - Solid state physics
- theoretical mechanics, quantum mechanics - statistical mechanics : equilibrium and non-equilibrium phenomena - theory of solid state physics - theory of automata - theory of neural networks
We perform calculations of thermal processes in food and related industries. We have expertise in the following processes: - Heating (sterelization, pasteurization, hot air, steaming, infrared and microwave heating) - Cooling and storage - Freezing - Minimal processing, sous-vide, cook-chill - Water relations in food (moisture isotherms) - Drying - Airflow in food processes - Solid and liquid foods, bulk products in bins - Packaged foods
Consulting on pharmacology of antiarrhythmic drugs and drugs active on ionic channels and on ion transporters in biological membranes (cardiac cells, smooth muscle cells, neuronal cells, non-excitable cells). Consulting on mechanisms of interaction between scorpion toxins and ion channels in cardiac and neuronal cells.
Reflexion upon the foundations and working-modalities of school and education on a christian base.
Clinical pharmacological applications in peripheral vascular disease.
- Development of hormone assays using poly- and monoclonal antibodies - Medical expertise in the field of endocrinology and andrology - Androgens and androgen action
- Advice in relation to training programs and the organization of training. - Case studies. - Surveys.
"Structural and Chemical Analysis of Materials" Characterization of the structure and microstructure of materials Surface properties Chemical analysis Thermal analysis Measurement of the physical properties of materials Measurement of crystallographic textures of crystalline materials, including crystallite orientation distribution functions (C.O.D.F.) for cubic and hexagonal materials.
"Metals forming" Work hardening during forming of metals Bulk and sheet material forming processes : calculation of forces, stresses and strains; formability. Development of microstructure, crystallographyic texture and internal stresses during the plastic deformation of polycrystalline materials (metals, polymers, ceramics) Mathematical modelling of the plastic deformation of polycrystalline materials.
Material characterization and trouble shooting with respect to problems in material processing. Advice on selection for rheo- optical and rheological research. Characterisation of colloids.
Material characterisation and trouble shooting with respect to problems in material processing. Advice on equipment selection for rheo-optical and rheological research.
Interfacial rheology and use of interfacial properties in materials formulation.
Fluorescent in situ hybridisation enables the localisation and quanitification of loci in the genome. Cloned DNA is labeled with fluorophores, hybridized on either nuclei or metaphase chromosomes and visualised by using a microscope. We perform FISH for pre-implantation, prenatal and postnatal diagnosis on human metaphase, nuclei and blastomeres. In addition, FISH is used to localise genes and determine their copy number and possibly their evolutionary history.
- Normalised control measurements on air-borne and impact sound insulation of building constructions - Room acoustics analysis using advanced prediction programs, model measurements, impulse response measurements... - General acoustical analysis related to buildings and to the build environment.
Advice in the field of contemporary issues of the Islam world, islamological aspects of migration. Advice in the field of Japanese law, concerning contract law, commercial law, Intellectual property Law. Translations Korean/Dutch, French, English. Translations Arabic/Dutch, French, English.
Biochemistry of blood platelets and endothelial cells with special emphasis in signal transduction (receptors, G-proteins, inositolphosphates, Ca2+-levels, cyclic AMP, protein phosphorylation, production of prostaglandins and thromboxanes), membrane research. Immunology of blood platelets : study of both human and murine antiplatelet antibodies and of the function of the antigens. Study of the interaction of the von Willebrand factor with platelets. Study of the hemostatic systems, especially in hemophilia and von Willebrand's disease. In vitro, in vivo animal and human studies of new antiplatelet drugs. Study of the pathological mechanisms of the lupus anticoagulants. Development of new coagulation tests for the detection of thrombofilia.
- construction and evaluation of powerful learning environments aimed at the acquisition of generalizable cognitive skills. - analysis of cognitive processes underlying the skill of solving problems in subject-matter domains (e.g. mathematics, computer programming). - development and evaluation of educational materials for teaching mathematics in the elementary school and in basic adult education (textbooks, tests, educational software).
Advice on the use and the indications of the different radiological imaging modalities for the investigation of the chest. These imaging modalities include: plain chest film, ultrasound, computed tomography, magnetic resonance. Interpretation of radiological examinations of the chest. Teaching use, indications and limitations of the imaging techniques of the chest and teaching interpretation of chest images obtained with these imaging modalities.
advice with respect to sediment dynamics, landscape evolution, reservoir sedimentation and long-term erosion rates
advice with respect to topographic measurements, including levelling, total station, GPS-techniques and the use of LIDAR imagery
2D- and 3D electrical resistivity profiling
Imaging of cellular features beyond the light resolution limit using either the in-house developped technology PiMP or using an SR-SIM microscope installed at the imaging core facility.
Samples are fixed and embedded in resin for transmission electron microscopy. While classical fixing is used most often, ultra fast high pressure freezing is also possible for select samples. We most often use fruit fly tissue, but other samples are within our capabilities as well. Blocs are cut on our ultramicrotome and further counterstained and imaged on one of the two TEM microscopes, a 200kV or a 120kV machine. Data can be further analyzed and quantified as well.
Electrophysiological applications at the Drosophila larval neuromuscular junction, both current clamp recordings as well as two electrode voltage clamp recordings.
Three dimensional reconstruction at EM resolution of blocks of tissue (about 100 µm thick). Samples are prepared for TEM but are cut in ticker slices than the usual ultra thin sections for TEM. These samples are imaged on the 200kV TEM microscope while tilting the samples between -60° and +60°. The images are back transformed to construct a three dimensional data set of the sample that was imaged. Features are then automatically or manually segmented to reveal three dimensional structure at TEM resolution.
Analyses of Drosophila larval NMJs using immunohistochemistry. We harbor expertise in the antibodies that can be (best) used, the fixation paradigms that can be (best) used and the conditions for confocal imaging and quantification of morphological features.
Imaging of subcellular features in fly neurons (both central brain neurons and neuromuscular end plates). These features can be genetically encoded (eg SynaptopHluorin to measure synaptic vesicle trafficking or GCaMP to measure calcium flux) or they can be based on chemical compounds (eg FM 1-43 imaging to follow synaptic vesicle endocytosis or JC-1 to assess mitochondrial membrane potential).
Expertise in fruit fly genetics, both classical genetics as well as more modern molecular genetics technology is offered, ranging from the generation of mutations in the fruit fly genome to creation of transgenic animals and the design of genetic screens.
Electrophysiological recordings of activity in the fly eye during a short light flash. Field recordings are made of the fly retina during a 1s (can be changed) light flash.
Psychological coaching and psychological assessment and the law system Psychopathology and delinquency Decision making Victim-crisisintervention
Theory and conceptualization Designing (evaluative) research Measurement issues
- Syntactic research in classic Hebrew texts - Literary criticism of Hebrew biblical texts - Text-criticism of Hebrew Bible : Leviticus
1) Geotechnische studies, met nadruk op rotsmechanische testen en stabiliteitsanalyses van uitgravingen. 2) Geostatische evaluatie van natuurlijke fenomenen. 3) Technische evaluatie van mijnbouwprojecten. 4) Geofysica.
1) Geotechnical investigations, with emphasis on rock mechanical tests and stabilty analyses of rock excavations. 2) Geostatistical evaluation of natural phenomena (e.g. ore deposits, pollutants, permeability and porosity, and geo- technical characteristics). 3) Technical evaluation of mining projects. 4) Geophysics.
Screening and diagnosis of neurotoxic effects of occupationally used chemicals (pesticides, heavy metals, solvents,...). Neurological, neurophysiological and neurobehavioral techniques are used.
1) Air Pollution : - chemical mechanisms/ database - gas analysis 2) Water Analysis : element impurities at the sub-ppb level Chemicals Analysis : 3) Plasma Chemistry : Oxidizing/Reducing Plasma's
Expertise related to the processing of ceramics by means of powder metallurgy or colloidal processing, microstructural as well as mechanical characterisation of ceramics and cermets, and consultancy related to the use of technical ceramics in general.
Expertise is provided in the following fields:
Processing of ceramics
Functionally graded materials
Development and characterisation of ceramic matrix composites
Hardmetals and cermets
Electrically conductive ceramic composites
Chemical wear assessment
Cutting tools and wear parts
Sintering of metals and ceramics
The use of ceramics for specific envisaged applications
Microstructural and mechanical characterisation of technical ceramics and cermets
Support and advice on the processing of ceramics and cermets
Single-cell genome analysis by next-generation sequencing
Evolution of fish and parasites
Population genetics and ecological genomics
Marine biodiversity and ecology/oceanography of temperate and polar seas
Fisheries genetics and genomics
Aquaculture genetics and genomics (broodstock characterisation, selection, management)
Conservation biology of marine and freshwater ecosystems
Biodiversity and society
Bibliography. Russian History Russian Literature Contacts Russia-West
- Regulation of cellular processes by reversible phosphorylation
- The tumor suppressor function of the highly regulated family of protein phosphatase 2A
- Structure-Function analysis of proteins, peptides and (membrane) lipids
- Innovative MS-based applications: phosphoproteomics, biomarker discovery, lipidomics, imaging mass spectrometry (e.g. see http://www.tissueimaging.org/)
Involved in the foundation of two KULeuven Core Facilities:
- BioMacS: Centre for structure-function analysis of BioMacromolecular Structures, (see: BioMacS.kuleuven.be)
- ProMeta: Interfacultary Centre for Proteomics and Metabolomics, (see: www.prometa.kuleuven.be)
- New immunosuppressive drugs - Xenotransplantation
1. Evaluation in vitro and in vivo of immunosuppressive agents. 2. Preclinical animal models of autoimmune disease, like glomerulonephritu, encephalitu, diabetes and arthritis. 3. Bone marrow and organ transplantation in mice and rats. 4. Treatment of leukemia by bone marrow transplantation.
Research of human perceptual and cognitive abilities in applied situations (e.g., trafic, man-machine intercation, eyewitnessing, advertisements, expert systems, etc.).
Documentation and research in Juvenile Criminology, on behalf of practice and policy. Advice and guidance for experiments of general prevention of juvenile delinquency in social work and in education.
- stochastic signals analysis - pattern recognition - speech processing
All interferencies between mathematics and the arts.
My research domains are
- neural basis of the sensorimotor system
- neuroplasticity of the human brain.
- movement observation
- bimanual coordination
- spatial memory
- theoretical modelling (game theory, evolutionary and population genetic models)
- evolutionary biology
- behavioural ecology
- molecular ecology
- chemical ecology
- genomics (collaboration with VIB microarray facility and group L. Schoofs)
"Materials Characterization and Materials Failure Analysis". A multidisciplinary team was formed at MTM to cope with the demands from industry concerning materials failure analysis and materials characterization. Problems treated are e.g. non-destructive testing of classic and advanced materials, corrosion of stainless steel, wear of coated tools, fracture of ceremts, the determination of the mechanical properties of polymers, metals, ceramics and their composites.
"Quality Control and Non-Destructive Testing of Materials" Own developments in the fields of : Analysis of radiographic imaging using Monte-Carlo simulation, damage analysis of composites using acoustic emission, in situ radiography and low- and high-frequency ultrasonics. AC-potential drop method for crack growth measurement during fatigue tests on metals. Ultrasonic C-scan equipment and microfocus X-ray radiography including X-ray computer tomography with data-analysis and image processing systems. The acousto-optic technique for NDT of layered structures. Optical fibre technology for damage/degration detection.
Research, training, development and consulting concerning envrionmental education, development education, international co-operation, adult and social aspects of the relationship between agriculture, environment and nature as well as of labour related issues.
Estimating dental age is one of the key-factors in the identification process in forensic medicine as well as in civil cases. The collection of accurate dental data is also very important in post mortem identification.
Clinical pharmacy and pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynnamics in specific patient populations
· Statistical analysis and stochastic modelling of hydrological extremes, extreme value analysis, hydrological time series analysis, impact of climate change on hydrological extremes
· River and urban drainage modelling: Spatial rainfall modelling, river catchment hydrological modelling, hydraulic river flood modelling, physico-chemical river water quality modelling, impact of sewer systems on receiving surface waters, bi-directional river-sewer interaction, real-time forecasting and control, uncertainty analysis
WILMER PETER ALEXANDER
Sepsis, severe sepsis: design of clinical trials.
WILMER PETER ALEXANDER
Gastrointestinal motility in the critically ill.
Molecular genetics and biochemistry of yeast.
Development yeast models for medical and medicinal use.
Heterologous expression, protein interactions, signal transduction in yeast.
- Policy evaluation (ex ante and ex post) concerning housing and welfare topics, i.e.: - organisation and funtion of housing policy - social housing, housing subsidies - links between housing and welfare, e.g. housing for the elderly, homelessness
Thermodynamics and kinetics of unit processes in extractive metallurgy. Calculation of complex reaction equilibra. Calculation and evaluation of phase diagrams. Thermodynamics of Phase transformation.
Bibliographical information on the history of Linguistics in (Greco-Roman) antiquity. Information about grammatical terminology in (Greco-Roman) antiquity, and about the genre of the grammatical manual. Information about grammatical papyri.
- Hemodynamic monitoring in intact chronically instrumented animals. - Advice for the use of general anaesthesia in laboratory animals
We use broadband dielectric relaxation spectroscopy (BDRS) to study the molecular and cooperative dynamics in soft matter systems such as polymer materials, liquid crystals and complex liquids.
Specific topics comprise supercooled liquids and glasses, the dynamics in nanometer confinement (ultrathin films, porous glasses etc.) and the dynamics of amorphous and semicrystalline polymers.
Besides information about orientational fluctuations in disordered matter, manifested by orientational polarization contributions to the complex dielectric permittivity, BDRS also provides information about translational diffusion of charges species such as ions or electrons via conductivity spectroscopy.
CDNA cloning, sequencing. Expression in mammalian cells, baculovirus systems. Polymerase chain reaction (PCR). Site directed mutagenesis.
- Small scale water resources engineering; applications in irrigation, drainage, rain water harvesting and aquaculture. - Modelling of water quality and quantity in an agro- and eco-hydrological context. - Curriculum development in water resources engineering supported by electronic teaching technology.
YAP SING HIEM
Chronic viral hepatitis New hepatitis viruses Bioantificial liver
Chinese phonology and syntax.