Odysseus call 2016-2017
The KU Leuven offers up to 13 Odysseus Type II grants to young, high level researchers from abroad to pursue cutting-edge research in Leuven. In exceptional cases, an Odysseus Type I grant can be applied for as well.
The aim of the KU Leuven is to consolidate its prominent position in the EU Research Area.
Offer for Odysseus grants
- You are a successful postdoc faculty member with minimum 3 years of postdoctoral experience
- You have a strong track record in research and evidence of teaching skills and academic leadership.
- Type II: 5 year grants, 100 – 200 K€/year (personnel costs, consumables, equipment).
Type I (only if exceptional opportunities occur): 5 year grants, 400k – 1,5 mio €/year (personnel costs, consumables, equipment)
- Opportunity to start your own research unit and research line at KU Leuven. Both have to fit within the strategy of the Faculty or Department and complement current research of the university.
- Grants are available in the Humanities and Social Sciences ; Science, Engineering and Technology ; and the Biomedical Sciences.
The KU Leuven offers a 5 year academic position, a tenure track academic position or a tenured academic position. This depends on your track record and the policy of the Faculties and Departments.
- Applicants must have demonstrated potential to become outstanding scholars with international acclaim in their field of study
- Applicants must have had or still have an academic or other research position at the postdoctoral or faculty level outside Belgium for at least three years in the last five years.
- The applicant cannot have a main appointment at a Belgian Institution for more than 1 year at the time of the submission of the application at FWO (29th of September 2017) (appointment in Belgium started on October 1st, 2016 or later).
The applications will be evaluated by an international panel by a procedure organized by the Research Foundation Flanders (FWO – www.FWO.be).
- Please contact the relevant department and research coordinator of the group as soon as possible to show your interest.
- The application form is to be submitted no later than April 24th, to the KU Leuven Research Coordination Office, Stephanie.Eggermont@kuleuven.be
- A first internal evaluation will take place on May 22th by the Group management and the KU Leuven Research Council.
- Depending on one’s vita, the project outline and the advice from the KU Leuven co-promoter, the Board of the KU Leuven will make a shortlist of applicants who will be invited to apply for the Odysseus funding to the FWO by June 6, 2017. The submission date of the final project at FWO is September 29th, 2017.
- The decisions on appointments and funding will be taken by the KU Leuven Board in February 2018, based on the evaluation by an international committee of referees of the FWO and the internal KU Leuven evaluation. The Odysseus Grants can start from April 2018.
- Stephanie Eggermont, contact person Research Coordination Office (email@example.com)
- KU Leuven key research domains, KU Leuven faculties and departments and KU Leuven research portal
- FWO-website for more information concerning the Odysseus funding and how applicants will be evaluated by the FWO.
- More detailed information on the Odysseus procedure (only in Dutch)
- Travelling to Leuven